docbook: Alternative to tag in Docbook

Subject: Re: Alternative to tag in Docbook
From: odc ####@####.####
Date: 9 Aug 2002 07:54:24 -0000

Hal Burgiss wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 09:40:37PM -0500, John R. Daily wrote:
> >
> > If you already have a CSS stylesheet, the last option would
> > clearly be the simplest, and in general feels like the best
> > solution to me.
>
> One more option might be simplelist which does not have the extra line
> breaks like itemizedlist (at least with the stylesheets that seem to
> be commonly distributed). But you loose some of the nice list type
> formatting of itemizedlist. If the line lengths are short, you can
> sort of simulate it like:
>
> <simplelist>
>  <member>
>   &nbsp;&nbsp;&squf;&nbsp;&nbsp;Item 1
>  </member>
>  <member>
>   &nbsp;&nbsp;&squf;&nbsp;&nbsp;Item 2
>  </member>
>  <member>
>   &nbsp;&nbsp;&squf;&nbsp;&nbsp;Item 3
>  </member>
> </simplelist>
>
> Another issue is whether you control the build and/or presentation
> environments. If you distribute the source (even with customized
> stylesheets), there probably isn't any way to guarantee how they'll
> look. And arguably shouldn't be a major concern anyway.
>
> But I agree that css is a nice way to spice things up. As an example
> of subtle, but nice differences done with css:
>
> http://www.privoxy.org/user-manual/appendix.html
>
> Scroll down to the Anatomy section and see how the <guibutton> tags
> turn out :) (Not my idea btw, but it is a nice touch IMO.)
>
> --
> Hal Burgiss

> http://lists.tldp.org/

Thank you for the help, but none of the options would work.  Except for
the CSS -- I think, I have to add that into the final version of my
document, as I do not know how to place it inline with the SGML.

If anybody knows how it would be appreciated.

I am, also a little dissapointed with the whole SGML Docbook concept.

Why cannot I use <br> ?

Why isn't <para> abbreviated to <p> for simplicities sake ?

Thank you for the help.