docbook: is the linuxdoc DTD deprecated for LDP?

Subject: Re: is the linuxdoc DTD deprecated for LDP?
From: Martin WHEELER ####@####.####
Date: 3 Aug 2002 18:47:24 -0000

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> 2. It uses SGML/Docbook rather than the Linuxdoc DTD.  Apparently,
>    German submissions are ONLY allowed in Linuxdoc.  Not Docbook.

This is inadmissible.  (IMHO, of course! :)
Linuxdoc SGML is _acceptable_ -- but should not be made mandatory -- for
any LDP document.  And of course, ASCII, Docbook SGML and Docbook XML
are equally acceptable.  None is mandatory.

> I was going to make the case why the German coordinator should drop the
> requirement of Linuxdoc.

Easy.  Linuxdoc doesn't allow for the incorporation of images.
(You could always be awkward, and deliberately include a screenshot into
your HOWTO.)

>  I thought I remembered reading somewhere that
> Docbook and XML are favored over Linuxdoc

This has often been expressed on the mailing list; maybe it's now time
to include it in the official documentation if people are going to get
unnecessarily awkward about mandating markup formats.

My tuppenn'orth.

msw