docbook: Indexing

Subject: Re: Indexing
From: David Chow ####@####.####
Date: 1 Aug 2002 16:47:12 -0000

Greg Ferguson wrote:

>On Aug 2, 12:23am, David Chow wrote:
>

>>Subject: Re: Indexing
>>Greg Ferguson wrote:
>>

>>>You cannot generate indexes using linuxdoc. There is a limited
>>>amount of information about linuxdoc in the LDP Author Guide.
>>>
>>>The overlap between XML and SGML exists because we chose to document
>>>a similar processing path for each - using openjade and dsssl. Note
>>>that there is another path for XML document processing using
>>>xsltproc/libxml2/XSLT, which we do not cover in much detail. When
>>>you look at the DocBook XML DTD and the DocBook SGML DTD, they are
>>>very similar. Transition is extremely easy. That's why the lines
>>>"blur" sometimes in describing the two.
>>>
>>>To create indexes:
>>>
>>>1. Add <indexterm> references into your SGML file (I'm not going
>>>  into detail, that's covered in the Guide)
>>>
>>>2. Add an entity reference in your main SGML file:
>>>
>>>    <!DOCTYPE Article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN" [
>>>      <!ENTITY myindex SYSTEM "index.sgml">
>>>      ..
>>>    ]>
>>>
>>>3. Include/reference the entity at the end of the file/document (or
>>>  wherever you wish to have the index occur):
>>>
>>>      &myindex;
>>>
>>>    </article>
>>>
>>>3. Now run the the tools to generate the index:
>>>
>>>     collateindex.pl -N -o index.sgml
>>>     jade -t sgml -V html-index -d <style> My-HOWTO.sgml
>>>     collateindex.pl -g -t Index -i doc-index -o index.sgml HTML.index
>>>
>>>You will now have a index.sgml file which can be used in conjunction
>>>with the "normal" run of the tools (which you use to produce your
>>>HTML files, etc). This should work ok with XML files as well (adjust
>>>your file extensions in the examples shown above!).
>>>
>>>For an example, see IBM7248-HOWTO -
>>>

>http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IBM7248-HOWTO/
>

>>>You can also get the source to examine from our CVS (web) tree.
>>>
>>>I don't use db2html or any other scripts (other than what I put
>>>

>together
>

>>>myself for the LDP), so I don't know if this processing is part of the
>>>scripts.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Ferg
>>>
>>>______________________
>>>http://lists.tldp.org/
>>>

>>Thanks for your reply, but if my document is in xml. Is it the same? I
>>tried with your commands with xml and doesn't work. Can you please give
>>advice?
>>

>Did you look at this message carefully??!??:
>
>   "This should work ok with XML files as well (adjust
>    your file extensions in the examples shown above!)."
>

>2. Add an entity reference in your main SGML file:
>
>   <!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
>     "http://docbook.org/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd" [
>      <!ENTITY myindex SYSTEM "index.xml">
>       ..
>   ]>
>
>3. Include/reference the entity at the end of the file/document (or
>   wherever you wish to have the index occur):
>
>       &myindex;

> [...]
I did look at your message and try it with xml, it failed. It returns
lots of errors when I run the 2 command

$ collateindex.pl -N -o index.xml
$ jade -t sgml -V html-index -d html/ldp.dsl LDP-Author-Guide.xml -o LDP

jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.1.2/docbookx.dtd:74:17:E: "X20AC"
is not a function name
jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.1.2/ent/iso-amsa.ent:8:19:E:
"X21B6" is not a function name
jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.1.2/ent/iso-amsa.ent:9:19:E:
"X21B7" is not a function name
..
..
jade:I: maximum number of errors (200) reached; change with -E option

Lots of errors, don't know what's going on??

I test it with the xml source of the LDP-Author-Guide from the CVS . I
am running Redhat 7.2 with stock docbook tools . I am sorry to ask again
and again, but I've been stuck for weeks here. Thanks for your help anyway.

regards,
David