docbook: Indexing

Subject: Re: Indexing
From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 1 Aug 2002 13:59:51 -0000

You cannot generate indexes using linuxdoc. There is a limited
amount of information about linuxdoc in the LDP Author Guide.

The overlap between XML and SGML exists because we chose to document
a similar processing path for each - using openjade and dsssl. Note
that there is another path for XML document processing using
xsltproc/libxml2/XSLT, which we do not cover in much detail. When
you look at the DocBook XML DTD and the DocBook SGML DTD, they are
very similar. Transition is extremely easy. That's why the lines
"blur" sometimes in describing the two.

To create indexes:

1. Add <indexterm> references into your SGML file (I'm not going
   into detail, that's covered in the Guide)

2. Add an entity reference in your main SGML file:

     <!DOCTYPE Article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN" [
       <!ENTITY myindex SYSTEM "index.sgml">
       ..
     ]>

3. Include/reference the entity at the end of the file/document (or
   wherever you wish to have the index occur):

       &myindex;

     </article>

3. Now run the the tools to generate the index:

      collateindex.pl -N -o index.sgml
      jade -t sgml -V html-index -d <style> My-HOWTO.sgml
      collateindex.pl -g -t Index -i doc-index -o index.sgml HTML.index

You will now have a index.sgml file which can be used in conjunction
with the "normal" run of the tools (which you use to produce your
HTML files, etc). This should work ok with XML files as well (adjust
your file extensions in the examples shown above!).

For an example, see IBM7248-HOWTO - http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IBM7248-HOWTO/
You can also get the source to examine from our CVS (web) tree.

I don't use db2html or any other scripts (other than what I put together
myself for the LDP), so I don't know if this processing is part of the
scripts.

--
Ferg