docbook: ldp_print question

Subject: Re: ldp_print question
From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 10 Jul 2002 20:42:20 -0000

On Jul 10,  1:16pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> Subject: Re: ldp_print question
> excellent.  thank you greg!  i wish i had your expertise in this stuff.
>
> another question, but more general:
>
> suppose we have a certain requirement for our document.  for instance:
>
> * the linux kernel module programming guide would really suffer without
>   an index at the end.
>
> * footnotes all get glooped at the end of the document, which becomes
>   unruly when you need to flip 100 pages for a 1 line footnote.  the
>   lkmpg would be better served by "end of chapter" notes, rather than
>   "end of document" notes.
>
> these things (and the minor change you give below) require changing
> ldp.dsl.
>
> however, it doesn't really matter what the copy looks like on my hard
> drive.  i already know where "init_module" is mentioned in the lkmpg;
> it would be more useful for the people using ldp documents.
>
> is there a way for ldp to use slightly customized versions of ldp.dssl?

The index creation should be freeely available (if the proper SGML/XML
tags are used to denote index items). I don't believe you need to
do anything to ldp.dsl. There is a pre-processing step that is required.

Here's how I do it (in ldp_mk):

  # create the index...
  #
  collateindex.pl -N -o index.{xml,sgml}
  jade -t sgml -V html-index -d $style $fname
  collateindex.pl -g -t Index -i doc-index -o index.{xml,sgml} HTML.index

  ...then run jade as normal to produce your HTML instances

That step creates an "index.{xml,sgml}" file which can then be
referenced thru an entity declaration somewhere in the main text
of your document:

  <!ENTITY doc-index SYSTEM "index.sgml">
  &doc-index;

Additonal info on this is in the LDP Author Guide:
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/tools-hints.html

As for the footnotes, I'm not familiar with how that processing works.

To answer your question, "yes"...I can process with a user-supplied
DSSSL stylesheet. There are one or two docs that I do that with
currently, at the request of the authors. You simply need to include
it with any instructions when the submittal of the document is done.

regards,

--
Greg Ferguson    * SGI principal engr / LDP contributor
SGI Tech Pubs    * http://techpubs.sgi.com/ | gferg(at)sgi.com