docbook: DocBook HTML cleanup

Subject: Re: DocBook HTML cleanup
From: Chip Cuccio ####@####.####
Date: 4 Jun 2002 01:38:47 -0000

> Hm, I know you got an answer on that one.  Are you still using the
> script, or the tools from the HOWTO?

I used the cool HOWTO you sent me (you rock :-).  I ended up ripping out all DB/SGML, etc. RPM's and installing from scratch.
I upgraded from RH 7.2 to 7.3 and it seemed to have broken some stuff, so the HOWTO came in handy...really handy :-)

> One thing, I use Emacs to edit my files, and whenever I load them
> there, they are fine.  No weirdness.  And there's a tool to Normalize
> under one of the drop down menus, which fixes messes like that...

Are you talking about your DB source, or rendered HTML?
To edit my DB source,
I use Vim, with a really cool DocBook-laden .vimrc (thanks to Greg F. for showing me that vimrc).
In case anyone is interested, I got it here:
http://www.lodestar2.com/software/docbook/vimrc

In any event, I tried Emacs, but I don't seem to have the Normalize command.  Maybe it's in your
.emacs?  Tidy works VERY well, but it inserts another GENERATOR meta tag (on top of DocBook's), and it seems to auto-declare the DOCTYPE as HTML 4.01 Trans.  While this may be OK, all I wanted to do is "beautify", not modify my HTML source...ya know?

In the interim, I can always write a script to tidy the HTML, then sed/awk out the extraneous stuff Tidy puts into it.  Oh well :-/

Thanks for your input, etc!
Chip Cuccio - the DocBook n00b - aspiring LDP contributor
chipster --at-- norlug __dot__ org
PGP Key: http://www.norlug.org/~chipster/public_key