docbook: Sequential page numbering isn't.

Subject: Sequential page numbering isn't.
From: "Rev. James Cort" ####@####.####
Date: 19 Oct 2001 16:00:08 -0000

Hi,

I'm working on a project which I'm writing in linuxdoc SGML. I've
noticed a few problems converting to ps and pdf, and wonder if anyone
here can help.

1. When restarting page numbering at each chapter, the pages are
numbered beautifully but the table of contents shows only the page
portion of the chapter number. I'd like each entry in the table of
contents to read:

2 Fooo ..................  2.1
  2.1 Bar and Baz........  2.3
  2.2 Gaz, gz............  2.7

...etc.

2. If I choose to not to restart page numbers at each new section (ie.
define %page-number-restart% to #f), the pages aren't numbered
sequentially until the SECOND section in the book - irrespective of
whether the first section is declared as being a chapter or a preface.
Prior to this page numbers are restarted at every section.

I'm using DocBook SGML 4.1 and a slightly-tweaked dsl, which I can make
available on the web or post to the list if necessary. I'm not certain
if the problem is my SGML, the DTDs or the stylesheets and I don't know
where to start looking.

I've definitely got the correct stylesheets and DTDs - are they
frequently updated? Is it possible my copy is an older, buggy version?

I'm going from SGML to PS like this:

jade -t tex -V tex-backend project.sgml
jadetex project.tex
jadetex project.tex