discuss: Thread: History: LDP authored about 20 books, but author attribution corrupted

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: History: LDP authored about 20 books, but author attribution corrupted
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 17 Aug 2017 19:38:40 +0100

I checked with Worldcat for a book: "Linux modem and serial
communications" for which I'm a co-author.  But it turns out that there
are two such books with the same date of publication (1999) and same name
but different authors.  One of these is jointly authored by "Linux
Documentation Project" and Gordon Mccomb.  My name and the other LDP
authors are all missing.  In both cases LDP, is listed by Worldcat as a
co-author.

I also found several other book jointly authored by Gordon Mccomb and LDP.
Of course, this attribution is wrong.  LDP was (is?) just the publisher and
I don't think Mccomb wrote any of it, he just put some howtos into various
books.  Well, he may have written the book's title.  But the book cover
also correctly declares that the book is a collection of Howtos.

While LDP suggested that publishers notify the authors that their work was
to be published, in my case (and likely in others) I was never notified.
This is perhaps one reason why I never read anything about such
publications on the discuss list.  It's probably too late to do anything
about this corrupted attribution now since it happened 18 years ago and
the books are all obsolete and/or of little interest today.