discuss: Thread: linuxdocs CN domain and keyword

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: linuxdocs CN domain and keyword
From: David Ranch ####@####.####
Date: 23 Aug 2017 16:43:31 +0100

Hello Everyone,

David Ranch here.. the maintainer of the IP Masquerade and TrinityOS doc
sets (both are getting rather old).  I received the below message and
while it could be spam, I don't think it is.  In various documents and
web searches, there are a LOT of references to linuxdoc.org which used
to be THE domain to use other than the tldp.org domain.  Linuxdoc.org
now seems to be a parked domain. For example:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Virtual-Services-HOWTO.html
    etc

Does the group here have any concern about this domain being parked,
moving to China, etc?  Is there really any trademark or infringement
concerns here?  Their email states their new domains would unique as
they are adding the .cn country suffix but I thought I'd bring this up.
As to my legacy documents, I assume I should update them to use
"tldp.org" domain?

--David

From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 23 Aug 2017 18:14:45 +0100

Quoting David Ranch ####@####.####

> David Ranch here.. the maintainer of the IP Masquerade and TrinityOS
> doc sets (both are getting rather old).  I received the below
> message and while it could be spam, I don't think it is.

It's salesmanship.

I get mail from registrar offering 'linuxmafia' in various TLDs.
If I really wanted to subsidise all of the regstrars of the world, I
could probably even register linuxmafia.pn, and have a presence related
to Pitcairn Island.

http://www.stamps.gov.pn/PitcairnInternetDomainNames.htm

> As to my legacy documents, I assume I should update them to use
> "tldp.org" domain?

Please do.

From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 30 Aug 2017 00:32:53 +0100

Your email was marked as spam by gmail.com.  It looks like they want to
buy the linuxdoc domain so they can resell it at a profit.  Even though we
are not incorporated we still have legal rights.  So I would object to
someone registering it unless they have discussed it with us on the
discuss list (and we agree).

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 08:45:17AM -0700, David Ranch wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> David Ranch here.. the maintainer of the IP Masquerade and TrinityOS doc
> sets (both are getting rather old).  I received the below message and while
> it could be spam, I don't think it is.  In various documents and web
> searches, there are a LOT of references to linuxdoc.org which used to be THE
> domain to use other than the tldp.org domain.  Linuxdoc.org now seems to be
> a parked domain. For example:
>
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO.html
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO.html
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Virtual-Services-HOWTO.html
>    etc
>
> Does the group here have any concern about this domain being parked, moving
> to China, etc?  Is there really any trademark or infringement concerns here?
> Their email states their new domains would unique as they are adding the .cn
> country suffix but I thought I'd bring this up.  As to my legacy documents,
> I assume I should update them to use "tldp.org" domain?
>
> --David

			David Lawyer
From: David Ranch ####@####.####
Date: 30 Aug 2017 17:19:16 +0100

Hello David,

Strange it was marked as spam but that happens I suppose.

I do agree they might be trying to use it for nefarious reasons but I
don't know what ICANN can/would do here since this request is to make
the new domain a geo-type domain (add the .cn suffix) which is
technically no longer a .org domain.  I imagine they were probing around
and I'm not sure why they contacted me for a domain I never owned and I
was only one of many many Linuxdoc publishers that had their work posted
on that domain.

I'll leave it be but I did want to bring this to the group so we are all
aware.

--David

From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 30 Aug 2017 21:06:04 +0100

Quoting David Ranch ####@####.####

> I do agree they might be trying to use it for nefarious reasons but
> I don't know what ICANN can/would do here since this request is to
> make the new domain a geo-type domain (add the .cn suffix) which is
> technically no longer a .org domain.  I imagine they were probing
> around and I'm not sure why they contacted me for a domain I never
> owned and I was only one of many many Linuxdoc publishers that had
> their work posted on that domain.

This happens pretty much all the time.  E.g., I continually get offers
to sell me domains related to magazines I once wrote articles for, where
I never ran (let alone owned) the magazines and there was never a reason
to think I did.  Likewise, I get come-ons suggesting that 15-year-old
magazine articles be amended to point to someone's link farm.  It's
spammer logic:  Programatically blast out as many sales offers as
possible, hoping a few will hit paydirt.