discuss: Thread: anybody here used DocBook 5.0?

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: anybody here used DocBook 5.0?
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 9 Feb 2016 17:07:59 +0000

Hello all,

Has anybody here used DocBook 5.0 yet?  I have not.

I have skimmed through parts of the DocBook 5.0 transition guide:

  http://www.docbook.org/docs/howto/

My observations:

  * The namespace bits seem powerful and one of the big reasons
    anybody would choose DocBook 5.0.  My lay understanding is that
    this allows multiple XML vocabularies to be used intermixed in
    a single document.

  * The toolchain looks largely the same as the xsltproc + XSL
    toolchain that I've grown accustomed to using with DocBook XML.

  * I saw xlink:href elements in some DocBook 4.x documents in our
    collection and wondered why somebody had used that notation.
    Now, I know.  This would be a valid declaration for a DocBook
    5.0 document in which somebody wanted to included links to,
    let's say, other websites:

      <article xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook" version="5.0"

Anyway, I'm asking if anybody else has used DocBook 5.0 and would
share any (other) tips, pointers, Makefiles, CLI invocations or such
jazz.

-Martin

P.S. Yes, I'm also lurking on the public docbook and docbook-apps
  mailing lists where the DocBook standard and some of the
  toolchains are discussed.  Hoping to osmotically absorb some
  knowledge there.

--
Martin A. Brown
http://linux-ip.net/
From: Leo Noordergraaf ####@####.####
Date: 9 Feb 2016 19:58:33 +0000

Hi Martin,

I used DocBook 5 on the Linux Assembly HOWTO.

I used xmlto with dblatex to generate pdf, xmlto itself is able to
generate epub and html versions.

I haven't used namespaces as I converted an older, no longer maintained,
document to docbook 5.

Commands used (lifted from makefile):
xmlto --with-dblatex pdf Assembly-HOWTO.xml
xmlto epub Assembly-HOWTO.xml
xmlto html Assembly-HOWTO.xml

regards,
Leo

From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 10 Feb 2016 05:18:55 +0000

Good evening!

>I used DocBook 5 on the Linux Assembly HOWTO.
>
>I used xmlto with dblatex to generate pdf, xmlto itself is able to
>generate epub and html versions.
>
>I haven't used namespaces as I converted an older, no longer maintained,
>document to docbook 5.
>
>Commands used (lifted from makefile):
>xmlto --with-dblatex pdf Assembly-HOWTO.xml
>xmlto epub Assembly-HOWTO.xml
>xmlto html Assembly-HOWTO.xml

Thank you much!  I have not yet used xmlto (though xsltproc, xmldiff
and xmllint).  Much appreciated.  I'll try that tomorrow.

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown
http://linux-ip.net/