discuss: Thread: No more spam!

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: No more spam!
From: Yves Bellefeuille ####@####.####
Date: 25 Feb 2012 06:43:00 +0000

Spam to this list is getting out of hand. Please find a way to stop it,
or I'll unsubscribe.

--
Yves Bellefeuille ####@####.####
"La Esperanta Civito ne rifuzas anticipe la kunlaboron de erarintoj, se
From: Bjorn Leffler ####@####.####
Date: 25 Feb 2012 07:03:08 +0000

That's funny.

I'm using Gmail, which filters these messages so well, I hadn't
noticed a single one.

2012/2/25 Yves Bellefeuille ####@####.####

From: Sergiusz Pawlowicz ####@####.####
Date: 25 Feb 2012 09:38:52 +0000

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 07:02, Bjorn Leffler ####@####.#### wrote:
> That's funny.
>
> I'm using Gmail, which filters these messages so well, I hadn't
> noticed a single one.
>
> 2012/2/25 Yves Bellefeuille ####@####.####
>> Spam to this list is getting out of hand. Please find a way to stop it,
>> or I'll unsubscribe.

I am sorry about that, I also use gmail and I cannot see them.

Unfortunately, it is really hard to prevent spam, although I have
deployed mechanisms to limit it as much as possible, our server blocks
more the 90% of it:

http://lists.tldp.org/spam.txt

Serge
From: Charles Curley ####@####.####
Date: 25 Feb 2012 11:48:02 +0000

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 09:37:39 +0000
Sergiusz Pawlowicz ####@####.#### wrote:

> I am sorry about that, I also use gmail and I cannot see them.

I took the liberty of forwarding a sample to you.

> Unfortunately, it is really hard to prevent spam, although I have
> deployed mechanisms to limit it as much as possible, our server blocks
> more the 90% of it:
>
> http://lists.tldp.org/spam.txt

As you will see, this is particularly insidious spam as it pretends to
originate from someone who either is or has been a subscriber.

From: Sergiusz Pawlowicz ####@####.####
Date: 25 Feb 2012 11:52:50 +0000

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 11:47, Charles Curley
####@####.#### wrote:

> As you will see, this is particularly insidious spam as it pretends to
> originate from someone who either is or has been a subscriber.

I think, there is no other way to prevent in, then moderating
subscriptions - and my proposal is, if i not hear objections, I will
deploy it on Sunday. It will take up to 24h to be confirmed as a new
subscriber.

cheers!
Serge
Subject: Re: No more spam!
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 25 Feb 2012 12:12:53 +0000

Le 25/02/2012 12:51, Sergiusz Pawlowicz a écrit :
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 11:47, Charles Curley
> ####@####.####  wrote:
>
>> As you will see, this is particularly insidious spam as it pretends to
>> originate from someone who either is or has been a subscriber.
>
> I think, there is no other way to prevent in, then moderating
> subscriptions - and my proposal is, if i not hear objections, I will
> deploy it on Sunday. It will take up to 24h to be confirmed as a new
> subscriber.
>
> cheers!
> Serge

You can set me as moderator. But it's pretty difficult to know is a
subscribe call is from a nice guy or a spam sender

we could also moderate the hole list, but there are not so many spams.
Moderating the list will delay the messages. But htere a neither many
message (usually)

in some list manager it's possible to moderate the few first messages
of a subscriber, may be it's a solution

jdd

Subject: Re: [discuss] Re: No more spam!
From: Randy Kramer ####@####.####
Date: 25 Feb 2012 12:45:17 +0000

On Saturday 25 February 2012 07:12:35 am jdd wrote:
> in some list manager it's possible to moderate the few first messages
> of a subscriber, may be it's a solution

I use that approach in a few yahoo groups that I moderate.  I put new members
on moderation--after I've seen a few good (non-spam) posts from them, I
(manually) take the off moderation.

Occasionally I have to put someone back on moderation.

I prefer putting a spammer on moderation rather than booting them from the
list--if I boot them, they get a notice they've been booted, and I suspect
many of them then try to resubscribe under a new name.

If I moderate their posts, often they don't even know it--they don't check the
lists to see if their posts actually get distributed, and, they then have no
incentive to resubscribe under a new name.

I've got on spammer that's been on moderation approaching 2 years at this
point.

Randy Kramer

From: Martin Wheeler ####@####.####
Date: 25 Feb 2012 17:26:10 +0000

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012, Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:

> Unfortunately, it is really hard to prevent spam, although I have
> deployed mechanisms to limit it as much as possible, our server blocks
> more the 90% of it:

 .. and I would suggest that rejecting all mail (allegedly) emanating from
rahul sundaram would block the remaining 10% ...
--
Martin Wheeler - G5FM   +44 1458 83-1103 - Glastonbury - BA6 9PH - England
http://martinwheeler.net/journal               http://martinwheeler.co.uk/

From: Roger ####@####.####
Date: 26 Feb 2012 01:13:22 +0000

> On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 07:44:41AM -0500, Randy Kramer wrote:
>On Saturday 25 February 2012 07:12:35 am jdd wrote:
>> in some list manager it's possible to moderate the few first messages
>> of a subscriber, may be it's a solution
>
>I use that approach in a few yahoo groups that I moderate.  I put new members
>on moderation--after I've seen a few good (non-spam) posts from them, I
>(manually) take the off moderation.

I'm not a fan of Yahoo Groups (aka Mailing Lists).  Almost all of their groups
(mailing lists) require to be a Yahoo member and then an accepted member of the
Group (mailing list) to even be able to even read the threads.

So basically, any helpful information posted there can't be found by others.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 26 Feb 2012 09:59:58 +0000

Quoting Charles Curley ####@####.####

> As you will see, this is particularly insidious spam as it pretends to
> originate from someone who either is or has been a subscriber.

I believe you're referring, IIRC to spam _genuinely sent_ from Rahul
Sundaram's Yahoo account, whose login credentials on the Web have been
stolen by spammers who have subsequently been barraging everyone in
Rahul's addressee list, ncluding ####@####.####  It's a very
widespread problem among Yahoo webmail users.

turning on the 'moderated' flag for such hapless webmail users until
the subscriber in question regains control of his/her webmail account.

That is a great deal more constructive than posting pointlessly
complaining  mails to your fellow subscribers, especially ones that
commit fundamental errors like asserting that it "_pretends_ to
originate from the subscriber', i.e., failing to understand the problem,
which does not involve forgery.