discuss: Thread: Re: Unix Command Line HOWTO

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: Unix Command Line HOWTO
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 4 Dec 2011 19:14:13 +0000

Le 04/12/2011 19:20, Howard Gibson a écrit :
>     http://home.eol.ca/~hgibson/UnixHowto.html
>
>     I wrote this quite a few years ago in what was at the time, the Linux docs sgml.  I am sure it could use some updating.
>
>     Is this still useful?

Hello :-)

good to see you are still here :-)

You can update your HOWTO in many ways.

If there is no real update necessary, but you want to show you don't
forget it, simple update the change log and submit it again.

If you can really update it, go! unix command line is always a must :-)

I add discuss as target, because the discuss list is much better for
this subject (I miss the followup capability of news readers)

thanks again

for the ldp
jdd
From: Greg Ferguson ####@####.####
Date: 4 Dec 2011 19:27:30 +0000

On Sun, 2011-12-04 at 20:14 +0100, jdd wrote:
> Le 04/12/2011 19:20, Howard Gibson a écrit :
> >     http://home.eol.ca/~hgibson/UnixHowto.html
> >
> >     I wrote this quite a few years ago in what was at the time, the Linux docs sgml.  I am sure it could use some updating.
> >
> >     Is this still useful?
> >

> Hello :-)
>
> good to see you are still here :-)
>
> You can update your HOWTO in many ways.
>
> If there is no real update necessary, but you want to show you don't
> forget it, simple update the change log and submit it again.
>
> If you can really update it, go! unix command line is always a must :-)
>
> I add discuss as target, because the discuss list is much better for
> this subject (I miss the followup capability of news readers)
>
> thanks again
>
> for the ldp
> jdd

I agree with JD. This is *always* a useful topic. We still accept
the old linuxdoc SGML, so if you want to update the source (if it
needs it) and then send it to us ####@####.#### I would be
more than happy to publish it as a part of our document collection.

regards,
--
Greg Ferguson
LDP Document Publisher/Tools/etc

From: Greg Ferguson ####@####.####
Date: 4 Dec 2011 19:27:30 +0000

From: Howard Gibson ####@####.####
Date: 5 Dec 2011 04:25:47 +0000

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 14:25:09 -0500
Greg Ferguson ####@####.#### wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-12-04 at 20:14 +0100, jdd wrote:
> > Le 04/12/2011 19:20, Howard Gibson a écrit :
> > >     http://home.eol.ca/~hgibson/UnixHowto.html
> > >
> > >     I wrote this quite a few years ago in what was at the time, the Linux docs sgml.  I am sure it could use some updating.
> > jdd
>
> I agree with JD. This is *always* a useful topic. We still accept
> the old linuxdoc SGML, so if you want to update the source (if it
> needs it) and then send it to us ####@####.#### I would be
> more than happy to publish it as a part of our document collection.
>
> regards,
> --
> Greg Ferguson
> LDP Document Publisher/Tools/etc

Greg,

   I don't think I have ever submitted it.

   I have just upated it a bit, and I sent my SGML to ####@####.####  I have also updated my website.  As noted on my TODO, there are gaps in my knowledge of Debian, Ubuntu and FreeBSD.  The document is aimed at beginner and non-geek users.

--
Howard Gibson
####@####.####
From: Howard Gibson ####@####.####
Date: 5 Dec 2011 04:25:47 +0000

Subject: Re: [discuss] Re: Unix Command Line HOWTO
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 5 Dec 2011 06:14:10 +0000

> On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 14:25:09 -0500
>
> > On Sun, 2011-12-04 at 20:14 +0100, jdd wrote:
> > > Le 04/12/2011 19:20, Howard Gibson a ?crit :

> > > jdd
> Greg Ferguson ####@####.#### wrote:
> >
> > I agree with JD. This is *always* a useful topic. We still accept
> > the old linuxdoc SGML, so if you want to update the source (if it
> > needs it) and then send it to us ####@####.#### I would be
> > more than happy to publish it as a part of our document collection.

Since this is a new doc, it would be nice if someone could review it
first.  I once did a sampling review of the GNU/Linux Command Line
Tools Summary (now a tldp guide) and it failed.  But the author
corrected the mistakes I found and we accepted it by mistake.  Since I
only sampled a couple percent of it, the other 98% likely contains a
lot of errors.  I hope this one is better (but it's likely shorter).
			David Lawyer

From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 5 Dec 2011 06:57:10 +0000

Le 05/12/2011 07:26, David Lawyer a écrit :

> Since this is a new doc, it would be nice if someone could review it
> first.

sure; I will give a look asap

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 5 Dec 2011 07:06:59 +0000

Le 05/12/2011 07:56, jdd a écrit :
> Le 05/12/2011 07:26, David Lawyer a écrit :
>
>> Since this is a new doc, it would be nice if someone could review it
>> first.
>
> sure; I will give a look asap
>
> jdd

I see at first glance a problem with the licence. The licence of the
docupent is completely closed (free distribution alloowed, but no
modfication)

here is the page of the accepted tldp licences:

http://wiki.tldp.org/LdpWikiDefaultLicence

thanks

jdd

From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 9 Dec 2011 09:59:30 +0000

I'm reading this one, so may be my remarks do not anymore count on the
last version.

the xterm of kde is "Konsole"

"cd -" send you to the previous directory

"-h" in many commands give values in "human readable" form

there is no "original vi". Simply any "vi" command is a link to some
vi variation, often vim (as said in the document). Some versions are
specially ugly :-)

finished reading.

This one document is a short introduction on the terminal use of
Unix/Linux, not a full Unix Command Line HOWTO.

Howard, if you have a more complete (or uptodate) version on line,
please, give me a link.

I would have been glad to read such a friendly document when I first
began to use Linux.

So the only real problem I have is the licence. If a LDP compatible
licence is choosen, I think we can accept this document (may be with
"Unix Command Line HOWTO for beginners" name)

jdd
for the ldp
From: Howard Gibson ####@####.####
Date: 10 Dec 2011 02:39:32 +0000

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 10:59:56 +0100
jdd ####@####.#### wrote:

> I'm reading this one, so may be my remarks do not anymore count on the
> last version.

   This is the latest version.  It should be version 0.4, dated 2011 December 04.

> the xterm of kde is "Konsole"

   Will it stay that way?  There used to be something called kterm.  I added this.

> "cd -" send you to the previous directory

   Thanks.

> "-h" in many commands give values in "human readable" form

   Is this a help function?  It does not do much with the basic commands listed here.  I have added notes about -? and --help.

> there is no "original vi". Simply any "vi" command is a link to some
> vi variation, often vim (as said in the document). Some versions are
> specially ugly :-)

   Didn't Bill Joy write this thing originally?  What did he call it?   I seem to recall that elvis uses the mouse such that the X11 copy and paste does not work.  Maybe mentioning vim and elvis is more detail than a new user needs.

   I cannot find my original notes on vi.  I started them after I somehow got out of my first session with it.  I entitled the notes "The Fucking Vi Editor".  I was very pissed off.  Now, I love it.

> finished reading.
>
> This one document is a short introduction on the terminal use of
> Unix/Linux, not a full Unix Command Line HOWTO.

   Would an advanced user make a point of bookmarking and reading this?  I never use this for reference. Most emails I have received on it have been from Mac users.  Obviously, I need to work out a balance between having enough information, and keeping the document short and easily searched.

   If I called this a Terminal HOWTO, would new users understand?  Another possibility is UNIX Command Shell HOWTO.  Still, the term shell means nothing to non-geeks.   The scary thing about UNIX and Linux is usually the "command line".

> Howard, if you have a more complete (or uptodate) version on line,
> please, give me a link.

   I will update this over the weekend.  It will have the same link.

> I would have been glad to read such a friendly document when I first
> began to use Linux.

   Thank you.

   This originally started off as sort of a report to management after I took a UNIX administration course.  It gave me a chance to tell users to RTFM when I was too busy to help them.

> So the only real problem I have is the licence. If a LDP compatible
> licence is choosen, I think we can accept this document (may be with
> "Unix Command Line HOWTO for beginners" name)

   Is there any thing you specifically want?  I am easy.

--
Howard Gibson