discuss: Thread: facebook

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: facebook
From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 29 Dec 2008 16:24:05 +0000

searching for infos, I had to open a facebook account:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1412160445&ref=name

I'm not really facebook fan, I use myspace instead for non LDP
commitments.

So I decided to devote this facebook profile to the LDP and it's
search for volunteers.

May be you can help?

I don't even know what link include in my signature (the link above is
ugly, is there not a best looking facebook link like myspace do?)

May be it could also be of some use if you could add friendship to
this account if you happen to have a facebook one.

all ideas welcome :-)

jdd
--
jdd for the Linux Documentation Project
http://wiki.tldp.org

Subject: Re: [discuss] facebook
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 6 Jan 2009 22:44:39 +0000

jdd for http://tldp.org wrote:

> searching for infos, I had to open a facebook account:
>
> http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1412160445&ref=name
>
> I'm not really facebook fan, I use myspace instead for non LDP
> commitments.
>
> So I decided to devote this facebook profile to the LDP and it's
> search for volunteers.
>
> May be you can help?

You might consider instead opening a LPD group on LinkedIn since LinkedIn
is already used by many LDP contributors. However one person has to be a
moderator and approve/decline requests to join so it should be someone who
has sufficient time for it.

I wouold sugest making clear that target audience is not only active
contributors but also past contributos and also those with an interest. A
more open profile should also help us in improving our profile.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen

From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 7 Jan 2009 08:35:38 +0000

Stein Gjoen a écrit :

> You might consider instead opening a LPD group on LinkedIn since
> LinkedIn is already used by many LDP contributors.

I never heard of this one :-(, but this is done. This time I opened a
"LDP" profile.

http://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=38042831

 However one person
> has to be a moderator and approve/decline requests to join so it should
> be someone who has sufficient time for it.

usually I follow such groups, but I'm not very active on them.

> I wouold sugest making clear that target audience is not only active
> contributors but also past contributos and also those with an interest.
> A more open profile should also help us in improving our profile.

how can I do so?

thanks
jdd

From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 7 Jan 2009 19:13:30 +0000

jdd for http://tldp.org wrote:

> Stein Gjoen a écrit :
>

>>You might consider instead opening a LPD group on LinkedIn since
>>LinkedIn is already used by many LDP contributors.
>
> I never heard of this one :-(, but this is done. This time I opened a
> "LDP" profile.

LinkedIn is for work (particularly professionals) what Facebook is for
private social life. Quite a few LDP contributors can be found there
already including Emma Jane Hogbin, Tabatha Marshall, Machtelts Garrels,
Guylhem Aznar, Ismael Olea and many more.

> http://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=38042831

Unfortunately this profile is not publically visible. You might look into
settings for visibility, add affiliation to LDP and define public URL. I
hope this advice will be of use to everyone joining up on LDP on LinkedIn.

>  However one person
>
>>has to be a moderator and approve/decline requests to join so it should
>>be someone who has sufficient time for it.
>>

> usually I follow such groups, but I'm not very active on them.

Main task would be just approve/reject people who join, a few minutes work
once a week should be enough. Unfortunately I cannot do this since I am too
busy to even keep up with the traffic on this list.

>>I wouold sugest making clear that target audience is not only active
>>contributors but also past contributos and also those with an interest.
>>A more open profile should also help us in improving our profile.
>>

> how can I do so?

Left hand column has an entry called "Groups", click there and in the new
window a yellow button titled "Create a Group" will appear.

Before that however (which is why I write this to the list at large) we
should agree on what to call ourselves, the existing uses being
  - LDP
  - TLDP
  - Linux Documentation Project
  - The Linux Documentation Project.

Due to the way LinkedIn works it will be an advantage to agree on the style.

Some nice graphics for the group logo would also be nice.

Groups can also be used for announcements and news, hopefully a LDP weekly
news can be resurrected..

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen

From: "jdd-tldp (gmane)" ####@####.####
Date: 14 Mar 2010 19:38:24 +0000

My son making a trip in Australia (searching some young man job :-), I
was obliged to learn Facebook to follow him. Stuff for youngs!

But that way I began to understand better how facebook works, and so
why a ldp facebook account is not the good medium when a "page" (in
facebook language) is.

Si I created a page called 'I support the Linux Documentation Project'
(http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-support-the-Linux-Documentation-Project/372073631002?v=wall)

so, please, advertise this page and become fan :-)

I can make any of you co-admin if you want to make this page live, it
would be a great help!

thanks
jdd