discuss: Thread: TLDP planet and blogs?

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: TLDP planet and blogs?
From: "Svetoslav Petkov Chukov" ####@####.####
Date: 1 Jan 2009 13:58:30 +0000

The new year has started. For the last week I was thinking about the idea to
have a planet and blogs in TLDP? All the organizations, companies or large
structures have such things, ok, most of them. :D

--
Svetoslav Petkov Chukov
Subject: Re: [discuss] TLDP planet and blogs?
From: "Svetoslav Petkov Chukov" ####@####.####
Date: 1 Jan 2009 14:29:31 +0000

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 4:14 PM, jdd for http://tldp.org ####@####.####

> Svetoslav Petkov Chukov a écrit :
> > The new year has started. For the last week I was thinking about the idea
> > have a planet and blogs in TLDP? All the organizations, companies or
> large
> > structures have such things, ok, most of them. :D
> >

> like this one?
>
> http://www.planetplanet.org/
>
> but do we have things to aggregate?

Things? What do you mean? Of course, we can attach our Planet to this list.
But we should, at first, have the planet ready, then all our blogs will go
to the Planet.

--
Svetoslav Petkov Chukov
From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 1 Jan 2009 15:42:59 +0000

Svetoslav Petkov Chukov a écrit :
> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 4:14 PM, jdd for http://tldp.org ####@####.####

>> http://www.planetplanet.org/
>>
>> but do we have things to aggregate?
>>

> Things? What do you mean? Of course, we can attach our Planet to this list.
> But we should, at first, have the planet ready, then all our blogs will go
> to the Planet.

As long as I understand, planet is only an agregator

"Planet is an awesome 'river of news' feed reader. It downloads news
feeds published by web sites and aggregates their content together
into a single combined feed, latest news first"

so we have to have first blogs, before being able to agregate something

jdd

--
jdd for the Linux Documentation Project
http://wiki.tldp.org
From: "Svetoslav Petkov Chukov" ####@####.####
Date: 1 Jan 2009 15:53:03 +0000

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 5:41 PM, jdd for http://tldp.org ####@####.####

> Svetoslav Petkov Chukov a écrit :
> > On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 4:14 PM, jdd for http://tldp.org ####@####.####
> >wrote:
>
> >> http://www.planetplanet.org/
> >>
> >> but do we have things to aggregate?
> >>

> > Things? What do you mean? Of course, we can attach our Planet to this
> list.
> > But we should, at first, have the planet ready, then all our blogs will
> go
> > to the Planet.
> >
> As long as I understand, planet is only an agregator
>
> "Planet is an awesome 'river of news' feed reader. It downloads news
> feeds published by web sites and aggregates their content together
> into a single combined feed, latest news first"
>
> so we have to have first blogs, before being able to agregate something
>
> jdd

Yes, of course. For the blogs, we can use our current blogs or new blogs
dedicated especially to the TLDP. I prefer new blogs installed on the
"reggae" but actually this will make the blog writings hard. I have already
a blog and I suppose other people have already so, we can just export our
RSS feeds to the Planet even now.

The things we need: Blogs and Planet.
Blogs - We can use our current blogs or we can install new blog system (like
Wordpress) on "reggae".
Planet - It needs installation on reggae.

--
Svetoslav Petkov Chukov
From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 1 Jan 2009 16:29:03 +0000

Svetoslav Petkov Chukov a écrit :

> Yes, of course. For the blogs, we can use our current blogs or new blogs
> dedicated especially to the TLDP. I prefer new blogs installed on the
> "reggae" but actually this will make the blog writings hard. I have already
> a blog and I suppose other people have already so, we can just export our
> RSS feeds to the Planet even now.
>
> The things we need: Blogs and Planet.
> Blogs - We can use our current blogs or we can install new blog system (like
> Wordpress) on "reggae".
> Planet - It needs installation on reggae.

if others agree, it's ok for me, but I wont manage it (lack of time)

jdd

From: ####@####.####
Date: 2 Jan 2009 06:23:04 +0000

Is there a demand for streaming and/or aggregated blogs in the LDP?  I
have nothing against the idea as long as there isn't more writing for
the sake of writing.

ESR's "How To Become A Hacker" paper summarises my concern the best:

"Having a home page isn't anywhere near good enough to make you a
hacker. The Web is full of home pages. Most of them are pointless,
zero-content sludge — very snazzy-looking sludge, mind you, but sludge
all the same...  To be worthwhile, your page must have content — it
must be interesting and/or useful to other hackers."

(this is why I haven't uploaded anything to bordenrhodes.com even
though I'm paying for the domain)

So, Blogs and Planet aggregators and RSS feeds are fine as long as
each post answers this question: how does this help people use or
contribute to the LDP?

Borden