discuss: Thread: maintaining HOWTOs

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: maintaining HOWTOs
From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Jan 2009 08:37:51 +0000

Dear Eric,

I am the new LDP coordinator. We are currently  trying to
quote the status of all the documents in TLDP's repository. Many
pages there are outdated, and we hope to update and improve them.

In order to achieve that, the current TLDP staff (including myself)
collect information about the documents (HOWTOs, articles, and others).

According to TLDP documents and your own
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/ page :-), you are the author of  a
number of HOWTOs, so many we may have missed some :-).

DocBook Demystification HOWTO (2005)
Fedora Multimedia Installation HOWTO (2006)
Installation-HOWTO (2002)
Linksys Blue Box Router HOWTO (2006)
Mail-User-HOWTO (2005)
Reading-List-HOWTO (2000)
Software-Release-Practice-HOWTO (2000)
Unix-and-Internet-Fundamentals-HOWTO (2007)
Unix-Hardware-Buyer-HOWTO (2007)
UPS HOWTO (2007)
XFree86-HOWTO (2000)
XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO (2003) - noted obsolete

We are very proud to have you among our authors :-), however, if some
of the HOWTOs are obviously maintained (date 2006 - 2007), other are
probably not (2000 - 2003).

Most of these HOWTO have no obvious licence or licences not allowing
modification.

So we have to ask you:

1. do you still want to maintain your published documents? If so there
is no need to change the licence nor any of yours habits. However it
would be a good idea to update the document once a year, let only to
change the date and make obvious it's up to date

2. You may think some documents are definitively obsolete (for example
XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO 2003 - noted obsolete). In that case we
keep the document with an "obsolete, only for historical purpose" tag.

3. You may have some documents usefull but don't want/can anymore
update them (like Linksys Blue Box Router HOWTO 2006). If you agree
and allow the licence to be changed to GFDL or any free licence
(http://wiki.tldp.org/LdpWikiDefaultLicence) we can insert it in the
wiki to allow other people to take over.

Of course you are completely free to change any option or don't change
any...

Thank you in advance.

jdd
(Jean-Daniel Dodin)