discuss: Thread: mirror problems related to tldp config - SSI

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: mirror problems related to tldp config - SSI
From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 4 Dec 2008 23:59:47 +0000

jdd for http://tldp.org a écrit :

> is this important enough to ask mirrors to allow ssi (and perl!)??

there may be a simple solution to this.

Part of our site is still on the old ibiblio system

for example:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/ps/

and these parts are *not* mirrored

We could move the linuxfocus (shtml) pages on the ibiblio / linuxdocs tree

but this need to know

* if this (old) tree is to survive or stop any soon
* if it allows ssi (I beg so)

else we can always open an other vserver for such archives (I suspect
they are not hit very often)

jdd

--
jdd for the Linux Documentation Project
http://wiki.tldp.org

Subject: Re: [discuss] mirror problems related to tldp config - SSI
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 5 Dec 2008 06:37:27 +0000

jdd for http://tldp.org wrote:
> jdd for http://tldp.org a écrit :
>
>> is this important enough to ask mirrors to allow ssi (and perl!)??
>
> there may be a simple solution to this.
>
> Part of our site is still on the old ibiblio system
>
> for example:
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/ps/
>
> and these parts are *not* mirrored

I think the intention was to leave stuff that is seldom used on the main
LDP site and only mirror what is more in demand.  We shouldn't count hits
by search engine robots in determining what it in demand.  I thought only
HOWTOs in html format were kept on the mirrors since html was thought to be
the most popular format.  However, we've got more important work to do than
sorting HOWTOs, etc. by popularity to determine which ones should only be
at LDP.  But any future content management system could let the author
decide if his work belongs on the mirrors.  Docs in unmaintained don't
belong on the mirrors and I'm not sure at present if this is the case.