discuss: Thread: mirrors survey

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: mirrors survey
From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 8 Nov 2008 14:04:03 +0000

hello,

We are working on the mirror list http://wiki.tldp.org/Mirrors.

Many are good, some are outdated or somewhat wrong, in this case I try
to write to the admin.

Other have nonexistent or empty domain names

I propose to let them stay in the list for *a month* after discovering
the non existence or sending a letter, then to remove them from the list

advice?

thanks
jdd
--
jdd for the Linux Documentation Project
http://wiki.tldp.org

Subject: Re: [discuss] mirrors survey
From: Susmit ####@####.####
Date: 8 Nov 2008 15:03:56 +0000

> I propose to let them stay in the list for *a month* after discovering
> the non existence or sending a letter, then to remove them from the list

Please feel free to remove ftp://mirror.wbut.ac.in from India.
I used to manage that.
That is gone with change of administration at the university and can
not be revived anymore.
Also the hardware is old.
I shall create another when I find opportunity.

--
Regards,
Susmit.

ssh
0x86DD170A
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 8 Nov 2008 17:11:46 +0000

On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 03:01:52PM +0100, jdd for http://tldp.org wrote:
> hello,
>
> We are working on the mirror list http://wiki.tldp.org/Mirrors.
>
> Many are good, some are outdated or somewhat wrong, in this case I try
> to write to the admin.
>
> Other have nonexistent or empty domain names
>
> I propose to let them stay in the list for *a month* after discovering
> the non existence or sending a letter, then to remove them from the list
>
> advice?

The maintaining of the mirror list has happened every few years or so.
Thanks for doing it again.  One thing that I don't like currently is
that for countries that no longer have a mirror, we continue to list
them anyway.  That's wrong, since people expect a mirror to exist in
that country if we display it in our list of countries.  Upon clicking
on the country (such as Saudi Arabia) one gets a page starting that
there is no longer any mirror there and wouldn't you like to start
one.  This wastes peoples time and is deceptive, since listing the
country in our list implies that there is a mirror there.  So I
propose that the countries that have no mirrors simply be removed
from the list of countries (remove Saudi Arabia, etc.).  I noticed
this years ago but failed to complain about it then, but I'm pointing
it out now that you are updating the list.

For historical purposes it might be nice to know where we once had
mirrors, but I think that since storage is so cheap these days that
historical snapshots of the web are being taken by others.  I wouldn't
suggest saving these countries in a history file since what we have
doesn't name the site.
			David Lawyer
Subject: Re: mirrors survey
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 8 Nov 2008 17:44:48 +0000

David Lawyer a écrit :

> The maintaining of the mirror list has happened every few years or so.

Matchelt did continue to add new mirrors (some come nearly each week
:-) - even on last August, but didn't test the current ones.

I think the New wiki is specially fitted for such things and I added
the status cell for this purpose.

Now anybody can see when a mirror was controlled.

I also setup a script to update the front page date each day, so we
can see at a glance what mirror is good.

mirrors may seems obsolete, but just now we have new mirror from
indonesia with better speed for local users :-)

In fact I will probably move some pages to the wiki (pages need
frequent changes) - the mirror is mostly important for the documents

> country in our list implies that there is a mirror there.  So I
> propose that the countries that have no mirrors simply be removed
> from the list of countries

agree

> For historical purposes it might be nice to know where we once had
> mirrors

it's not that important :-)

and we have:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://tldp.org
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://linuxdoc.org

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org

Subject: Re: [discuss] Re: mirrors survey
From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 8 Nov 2008 21:55:09 +0000

I just found in the archives a message, two years old, listing bad
mirrors.

I will remove immediately all so old bad mirrors... just keep them
somewhere off line  just in case

jdd