discuss: Thread: link page

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: link page
From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 2 Nov 2008 17:23:56 +0000

Hello,
We some time receive mails asking us to link to some open source web site.

I don't see such a "links" page on the old Web site.

Do we have to open one on the wiki? If yes, for what content?

Of course we can link to the main distributions Web sites (but is it
even necessary?) and many well known forums (Linuxquestions...)

But then, if we do, we will have the problem of knowing what kind of
site we can link to. Most of them are more or less commercial (Most
main distribution have commercial part , many sites have addsense).

Shall we accept any link as soon as the subject/object is working on
open source products???

jdd
--
jdd for the Linux Documentation Project
http://wiki.tldp.org

Subject: Re: [discuss] link page
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 2 Nov 2008 21:04:54 +0000

Quoting Jean-Daniel Dodin ####@####.####

> Shall we accept any link as soon as the subject/object is working on
> open source products???

No.

The mission of LDP is to inform people about major sources of key Linux
information, not to be a "link farm" advertising anyone and everyone's
projects and products.  This is not 1994, and it's no longer necessary
to prove to the world that Linux is useful.

From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 3 Nov 2008 07:29:47 +0000

Rick Moen a écrit :
> Quoting Jean-Daniel Dodin ####@####.####
>
>> Shall we accept any link as soon as the subject/object is working on
>> open source products???
>
> No.
>
> The mission of LDP is to inform people about major sources of key Linux
> information, not to be a "link farm" advertising anyone and everyone's
> projects and products.  This is not 1994, and it's no longer necessary
> to prove to the world that Linux is useful.

The old Manifesto page (no more linked, but still visible here
http://tldp.org/manifesto.html said:

"An additional goal is to collaborate on all of the issues of
GNU/Linux documentation. We hope to establish a system of
documentation that is easy to use and search. This includes the
integration of all available documents."

but this looks like a Lampada derivative (and who remember Lampada,
except oldtimer? - for the other, it was a former LDP project that
never got finished)

and nowaday, google is the best source :-)

jdd

From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 11 Nov 2008 17:39:26 +0000

Rick Moen a écrit :
> Quoting Jean-Daniel Dodin ####@####.####
>
>> Shall we accept any link as soon as the subject/object is working on
>> open source products???
>
> No.
>
> The mission of LDP is to inform people about major sources of key Linux
> information, not to be a "link farm" advertising anyone and everyone's
> projects and products.  This is not 1994, and it's no longer necessary
> to prove to the world that Linux is useful.

I come back to this thread, because we have already a link page:

http://tldp.org/links/

(linked from the search box in front page)

there is even a form to add links http://tldp.org/links/addlink.html

I submitted one to see is all still works (Distrowatch)

so if we have to keep the page it have to be cleaned (content, not
aspect), if we don't want to keep the page we need to remove it :-)

jdd

From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 11 Nov 2008 18:11:15 +0000

Quoting Jean-Daniel Dodin ####@####.####

> I come back to this thread, because we have already a link page:
>
> http://tldp.org/links/
>
> (linked from the search box in front page)
>
> there is even a form to add links http://tldp.org/links/addlink.html
>
> I submitted one to see is all still works (Distrowatch)
>
> so if we have to keep the page it have to be cleaned (content, not
> aspect), if we don't want to keep the page we need to remove it :-)

Link farm pages are very 1994, but still somewhat useful even now,
within reason.  The hitch is, you need to go through them from time to
time, finding broken entries (404 links aka "bit rot") and fixing them
by finding new or replacement pages, removing entries that no longer
make any sense, and adding new ones.  Ideally, this should be done a few
times a year.  The bigger the page becomes, the more maintenance
requires.

I maintain one for SVLUG (started very long ago), and think I do a
pretty good job:  http://www.svlug.org/farm.php

You'll notice that I annotate when links are no longer maintained but
still believed useful, and occasionally switch to Internet Archive
links when a site vanishes.

You will probably find some broken and/or obsolete links.  I wouldn't be
the least surprised.

The http://tldp.org/links/ page's User Groups section (among others)
appears to be pretty badly broken.  I might recommend borrowning data
from the SVLUG page and from the LDP User Group HOWTO, which I also
maintain.

(By all means, borrow freely from either of those, if desired.)

Subject: Re: link page
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 11 Nov 2008 19:52:04 +0000

Rick Moen a écrit :

 I might recommend borrowning data
> from the SVLUG page and from the LDP User Group HOWTO, which I also
> maintain.
>
> (By all means, borrow freely from either of those, if desired.)

better link to this page, may be better make the page link on the
wiki? (easier to update?)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org

Subject: Re: [discuss] Re: link page
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 11 Nov 2008 19:59:52 +0000

Quoting Jean-Daniel Dodin ####@####.####

> better link to this page, may be better make the page link on the
> wiki? (easier to update?)

The SVLUG page is largely tailored to the San Francisco Bay Area and to
the perceived needs and priorities of SVLUG members, rather than to LDP.
LDP has a slightly different focus.

But I imagine that a link _from_ LDP's links page to SVLUG's might be
useful -- if judged good.  (I'm not a suitable judge of that, as I
maintain the page.)

Having LDP's link farm page reside on LDP's wiki seems a good idea on
technical grounds, _but_ LDP would need to exercise tight control over
content:  More than with most pages, everyone with a Web site to push,
commercial or otherwise, will try to argue that it belongs on the LDP
link farm.

The SVLUG page is under sole control of SVLUG's Web Team (mostly me),
so the group doesn't have that problem.  Once in a while someone or some
firm e-mails an inappropriate request for inclusion, and we just
politely turn it down.