discuss: Thread: converting HOWTOs to Moin

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: converting HOWTOs to Moin
From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 20 Nov 2008 07:44:05 +0000

A thread from the MoinMoin list seems to give a solution, but I'm not
experienced enough to understand it

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=ebd4c7800811191415r4c59e693p58f272564fa7bcfb%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=moin-user

It would be very intersting to have *all* the
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/text/ HOWTOs translated, at least as a first
step.

any help?
jdd
--
jdd for the Linux Documentation Project
http://wiki.tldp.org

Subject: Re: [discuss] converting HOWTOs to Moin
From: Little Girl ####@####.####
Date: 20 Nov 2008 16:17:34 +0000

Hey there,

jdd for http://tldp.org wrote:

> It would be very intersting to have *all* the
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/text/ HOWTOs translated, at least as a
> first step.

> any help?

There is a program called txt2tags that might be able to help:

http://txt2tags.sourceforge.net/

It can certainly convert plain text to Moin. There are limitations,
though, in that it will not necessarily convert everything properly
by default. Tables or diagrams which have lines created from dashes,
for instance (as in your 3-Button-Mouse.txt), will not turn out
properly in the conversion.

An advantage to txt2tags is that it can be run from the command line
or from a GUI, so it would make short work of converting a whole
bunch of files. Each resulting file could then be edited (possibly as
a batch) to have {{{ as the first line and }}} as the last line so
that the pages themselves would be presented in their raw form once
they're in the wiki. From there they'd need to be manually finished
off by humans who would undo the {{{ and }}} and observe the result,
making changes as needed to get the information to present properly.

An alternative is to edit the txt2tags configuration file so that it
converts documents exactly the way you want it to. I've never done
this, but my understanding is that it can be done, and I believe
there are instructions on the site for how to go about it.

I happen to love and use the txt2tags program all the time, so I'd be
happy to help you figure it out if you decide to try it.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.
From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 20 Nov 2008 17:28:35 +0000

Little Girl a écrit :

> There is a program called txt2tags that might be able to help:
>
> http://txt2tags.sourceforge.net/

I fail understanding how it works. For me it do nearly nothing.

I first tried the online version

http://txt2tags.sourceforge.net/online.php

For example, pasting this in the window:

"It can certainly convert plain text to Moin.
There are limitations,
though, in that it will not
necessarily convert everything properly
by default. Tables or diagrams which
have lines created from dashes,
for instance (as in your
3-Button-Mouse.txt), will
not turn out"

(part of your mail, with added carriage return)

gives exactly the same thing as Moin code, no change at all, when the
main  problem with text is the fact Moin needs *two* carriage return
between paragraphs. Pasting this in Moin certainly don't gives any
good result.

command line gives exactly the same result.

In fact there should be <<BR>> at the end of any line or a second <CR>

sorry :-(
jdd