discuss: Thread: LDP history

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: LDP history
From: Serena Fenton ####@####.####
Date: 5 Oct 2001 00:15:52 -0000

I came across an interview with Matt Welsh at O'Reilly from last year.  If
you are still looking for a history, this might be a good record:
http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2000/02/25/interview/welshtranscript.html

You had mentioned earlier about a handout at the LDP booth - could I
possible get a copy of that, if it has history, etc?

- Serena-

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Serena Fenton
linux archivist	    http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux
ibiblio collections manager   http://ibiblio.org
####@####.####

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Subject: Re: LDP history
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 5 Oct 2001 00:42:18 -0000

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 08:15:07PM -0400, Serena Fenton wrote:
> I came across an interview with Matt Welsh at O'Reilly from last year.  If
> you are still looking for a history, this might be a good record:
> http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2000/02/25/interview/welshtranscript.html

That is *so* cool. We have to get permission to archive that for the
LDP. Does anyone know someone at O'Reilly?

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

We have increased our prices over the last 10 years [while] other component
prices have come down and continue to come down.
	--Microsoft Senior VP Joachim Kempin
From: Poet/Joshua Drake ####@####.####
Date: 5 Oct 2001 03:05:30 -0000

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, David Merrill wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 08:15:07PM -0400, Serena Fenton wrote:
>> I came across an interview with Matt Welsh at O'Reilly from last year.  If
>> you are still looking for a history, this might be a good record:
>> http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2000/02/25/interview/welshtranscript.html
>
>That is *so* cool. We have to get permission to archive that for the
>LDP. Does anyone know someone at O'Reilly?

I am currently writing two books for OReilly. I will ask.

<COMPANY>CommandPrompt	- http://www.commandprompt.com	</COMPANY>
<PROJECT>OpenDocs, LLC.	- http://www.opendocs.org	</PROJECT>
<PROJECT>LinuxPorts 	- http://www.linuxports.com     </PROJECT>
<WEBMASTER>LDP		- http://www.linuxdoc.org	</WEBMASTER>
--
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"
start asking why software is ignoring 30 years of accumulated wisdom.

From: Dan York ####@####.####
Date: 5 Oct 2001 14:12:12 -0000

J,

> >That is *so* cool. We have to get permission to archive that for the
> >LDP. Does anyone know someone at O'Reilly?
>
> I am currently writing two books for OReilly. I will ask.

If you do not get any answers, let me know.  I know a number of
people there at O'Reilly through LPI and LI.

Regards,
Dan
--
Dan York, Director of Training, Network Server Solutions Group
Mitel Networks Corporation                  ####@####.####
From: Sayamindu Dasgupta ####@####.####
Date: 13 May 2002 20:52:36 -0000

Hia,
I'm currently writing a short history of the LDP, and i'm refferring o
the mailing list archives and google groups for most of the info.
i have got a big chunk of the '99 archives from
http://www.ibiblio.org/fents/ldp/
but i'm totally lost for pre 99 archives
cud anyone tell me where i can find those??
-cheers-
Sayamindu

From: --s+ ####@####.####
Date: 14 May 2002 21:58:11 -0000

--->[Quoting Sayamindu Dasgupta ####@####.####

> I'm currently writing a short history of the LDP, and i'm refferring o
> the mailing list archives and google groups for most of the info.
> i have got a big chunk of the '99 archives from
> http://www.ibiblio.org/fents/ldp/
> but i'm totally lost for pre 99 archives
> cud anyone tell me where i can find those??

Hello, they are on the server, but not currently linked,
because of redesign of lists web server. I can send you
them as a tar.gz file ot please wait few days for finishing
the new server.

--
      http://ibiblio.org/ser/ | http://it-zone.org/
tldp.org|gnu.org|hyperreal.info|pld-linux.org|it-zone.org
From: Sayamindu Dasgupta ####@####.####
Date: 15 May 2002 05:28:58 -0000

On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 03:28, --s+ wrote:
> --->[Quoting Sayamindu Dasgupta ####@####.####
>
> > I'm currently writing a short history of the LDP, and i'm refferring o
> > the mailing list archives and google groups for most of the info.
> > i have got a big chunk of the '99 archives from
> > http://www.ibiblio.org/fents/ldp/
> > but i'm totally lost for pre 99 archives
> > cud anyone tell me where i can find those??
>
> Hello, they are on the server, but not currently linked,
> because of redesign of lists web server. I can send you
> them as a tar.gz file ot please wait few days for finishing
> the new server.
>
> --
>       http://ibiblio.org/ser/ | http://it-zone.org/
> tldp.org|gnu.org|hyperreal.info|pld-linux.org|it-zone.org
>   "The moon is made of green cheese." -- John Heywood

then i'll wait, as i have not yet finished the '99 section.
-cheers-
Sayamindu

From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 18 Apr 2009 08:54:44 +0100

Should I try to improve Garrels history of the LDP?  There are a lot
of events not covered.  One was my survey of sites that showed that
the majority of them carried stale LDP documentation, which compounded
the problem of the fact that many LDP docs were out-of-date.  Also,
statistics need to be included.  Credit should be given to David
Merrill who was doing a content management system for us but had no
one to finish it when he became too ill to continue.  Also Lars
resignation as leader should be mentioned as well as LDP being
de-facto leaderless for a number of years.  The "intervention" by Joy
Y. of IBM needs to be mentioned.  And LDP disappearing from the
internet due to failure to renew the linuxdoc domain should be
mentioned.  The speculation that the Open Source Writers Group might
take over the role played by LDP should be mentioned too.  Also, there
was an effort to unify all Linux documentation that had a lot of ideas
but got nowhere and wound up with everyone leaving the special mailing
list created for such discussion.

The dropping of LDP documentation by distributions (except Debian and
?) needs mentioning.  And the Al Dev affair should be mentioned (His
howtos contained a lot of exaggerations and some plagerisms and he
refused to discuss this on the mailing list).

In fact, a good history would have links to the LDP archives of the
mailing list, etc., where much of this was discussed.  I think that if I
don't do it, no one will.  Yet it may be more important to work on
simplified documentation for volunteers.  The story of LDP is that of
one crisis (or problem) after another but it somehow survived them all.

			David Lawyer
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 18 Apr 2009 09:00:20 +0100

David Lawyer a écrit :
> Should I try to improve Garrels history of the LDP?

very good idea. I have setup a wiki version
(http://wiki.tldp.org/History), but didn't yet replace the old one
because it's unfinished.

If you can update it (and you are one of the better author I can see
for this), we could remove the old one and link to the wiki

thanks
jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net