discuss: Thread: Contacting TLDP authors. Status of the work.

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Contacting TLDP authors. Status of the work.
From: mhydra ####@####.####
Date: 16 Sep 2008 17:46:18 +0100

You may wish to see how is going at address
http://wiki.tldp.org/Page_Status#preview.
Many people do not wish to maintain at all there HOWTOs. But probably
this is for good, that part would be reserved for others that want to
do that.
Probably we will have problems with maintainers. What do you think?
Where to take maintainers from?

mhydra
Subject: Re: [discuss] Contacting TLDP authors. Status of the work.
From: Mendel Cooper ####@####.####
Date: 16 Sep 2008 18:06:11 +0100

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008, mhydra wrote:

> Probably we will have problems with maintainers. What do you think?
> Where to take maintainers from?

A completely heretical idea:

Ask IBM, Novell, HP, etc. for funding so the maintainers and other
volunteers can actually be paid for their work.
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 16 Sep 2008 19:11:36 +0100

Mendel Cooper a écrit :
> On Tue, 16 Sep 2008, mhydra wrote:
>
>> Probably we will have problems with maintainers. What do you think?
>> Where to take maintainers from?
>
> A completely heretical idea:
>
> Ask IBM, Novell, HP, etc. for funding so the maintainers and other
> volunteers can actually be paid for their work.

not sure it will be a good idea. HOWTO used to change maintainers
often and be a collaborative work, very difficult to appreciate and pay.

God authors can share they expertise and money tham...

The problem I see is other.

who own the un-maintained documents?

LDP cannot. not registered. no legal existence.

I could propose if svetoslav agree (and if it's compatible with what
he said to them), for all non FGDL licenced documents:

* one of us (any) take maintainership;
* change licence as he can;
* seek for other maintainer.

much better if the temporary HOWTO owner can understand what the HOWTO
is about

I'm ready to start this ASAP if you all agree (and share)

the worst situation is the one where we can't find the old maintainer,
as we have to keep the licence. If the licence is resrictive, the
HOWTO will have to be put in "unmodifiable" folder.

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 16 Sep 2008 21:59:22 +0100

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 08:10:58PM +0200, jdd wrote:
[snip]
> I could propose if svetoslav agree (and if it's compatible with what he
> said to them), for all non FGDL licenced documents:
>
> * one of us (any) take maintainership;
> * change licence as he can;
> * seek for other maintainer.
>
> much better if the temporary HOWTO owner can understand what the HOWTO
> is about
>
> I'm ready to start this ASAP if you all agree (and share)
>
> the worst situation is the one where we can't find the old maintainer,
> as we have to keep the licence. If the licence is resrictive, the HOWTO
> will have to be put in "unmodifiable" folder.

They are not really "unmodifiable".  What it usually says is that you
need the author's permission to modify.  So it's
"need-perm-to-modify".

> --
> http://www.dodin.net
> http://valerie.dodin.org
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-eic8MSSfM
>
> ______________________
> http://lists.tldp.org/

			David Lawyer
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 17 Sep 2008 07:37:24 +0100

David Lawyer a écrit :

>> the worst situation is the one where we can't find the old maintainer,
>> as we have to keep the licence. If the licence is resrictive, the HOWTO
>> will have to be put in "unmodifiable" folder.
>
> They are not really "unmodifiable".  What it usually says is that you
> need the author's permission to modify.  So it's
> "need-perm-to-modify".

perm by somebody unknown or unreachable... is no perm!

jdd

From: "O.R.Senthil Kumaran" ####@####.####
Date: 17 Sep 2008 09:06:16 +0100

* scriptor Mendel Cooper, explico
> > Probably we will have problems with maintainers. What do you think?
> > Where to take maintainers from?
>
>  A completely heretical idea:
>
>  Ask IBM, Novell, HP, etc. for funding so the maintainers and other
>  volunteers can actually be paid for their work.

Another suggestion would be to seek Google's Open Source Team's attention as
well. They have been contributing quite a lot to OSS Field.

BTW, a long back I had seen a post at Google's blog stating that one of
their engineer had released an updated list of How-Tos working on his 20% time.
Do any of you know about it? Or am I mistaken?

--
O.R.Senthil Kumaran
http://uthcode.sarovar.org
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 7 Jan 2009 20:15:23 +0000

OK, so I am massively backlogged (632 emails to go...) but I think this
should not be dropped yet.

O.R.Senthil Kumaran wrote:

> * scriptor Mendel Cooper, explico
>
>>>Probably we will have problems with maintainers. What do you think?
>>>Where to take maintainers from?
>>>
>> A completely heretical idea:
>>
>> Ask IBM, Novell, HP, etc. for funding so the maintainers and other
>> volunteers can actually be paid for their work.
>>

> Another suggestion would be to seek Google's Open Source Team's attention as
> well. They have been contributing quite a lot to OSS Field.

Newspapers suggest there is a resource freeze at Google, if true this means
getting resources from Google can be difficult.

> BTW, a long back I had seen a post at Google's blog stating that one of
> their engineer had released an updated list of How-Tos working on his 20% time.
> Do any of you know about it? Or am I mistaken?

I believe you are referring to Michael Kerrisk who was maintaining
man-pages in his Google 20 percent time since November 2004, currently on a
fellowship from the Linux Foundation. There is not much communication
between him and TLDP though it was mentioned he wanted to drop the
intro(LDP) page a while ago.

You might want to look at
http://linux-man-pages.blogspot.com/

Regards,