discuss: Thread: site links to mirror and date

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: site links to mirror and date
From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 22 Oct 2008 18:52:14 +0100

Hello,
I begin to have access to all the LDP servers. I have to edit some
pages of the LDP static site (not the wiki).

the main reason of this site is mirrors... we have a lot.

But, obviously, some links are not made to be mirrored: absolute links
(hard coded to tldp.org) still send to tldp even if the target is on
the mirror.

So what files *have* to point to tldp.org?

of course the links to the wiki, but after that?

to control this, I mirror the site locally (on my computer), as so
it's easy to see what points to the web and what point locally.

I also want to have the date on the home page to be static (html) on
the mirrors, but automatically updated on the tldp home page (to see
if the mirrors are up to date.

right now the date is

<I>home page updated:</I> <A href="timestamp.txt">2008-03-02</A></font>

but the file content is still this date (2008-03-02) - this is
probably the home page update, not the site content, so may be
somewhere a script is broken (the source page is the same, no script
action)

thanks
jdd
--
jdd for the Linux Documentation Project
http://wiki.tldp.org

Subject: Re: [discuss] site links to mirror and date
From: David Greaves ####@####.####
Date: 24 Oct 2008 14:16:13 +0100

jdd for http://tldp.org wrote:
> Hello,
> I begin to have access to all the LDP servers. I have to edit some
> pages of the LDP static site (not the wiki).

Oh good :)

Does that mean you can update the Software RAID HOWTO page? ;)

David

--
"Don't worry, you'll be fine; I saw it work in a cartoon once..."
From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Oct 2008 15:27:55 +0100

David Greaves a écrit :
> jdd for http://tldp.org wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I begin to have access to all the LDP servers. I have to edit some
>> pages of the LDP static site (not the wiki).
>
> Oh good :)
>
> Does that mean you can update the Software RAID HOWTO page? ;)
>
> David

soon...

I don't yet know exactly how the update is done.

You have to see that the LDP web site is quite complex.

HOWTOs are submitted on various forms (text, but mostly linuxdoc or
docbook). Submitted mean sent to the submit list (or through CVS).
There are many subscribers to this list. Somebody, may be Greg
Fergusson, will then take some actions (I just asked him), and then
the file is copied in the good place in the various formats (html,
pdf, text...)

right now, I could only cut hard in the html files, not the best way.

But in the future, the best system is to open a page on the wiki, we
will soon have scripts to go from there to the other part of the web site

jdd

From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 24 Oct 2008 18:21:27 +0100

Quoting Jean-Daniel Dodin ####@####.####

> I don't yet know exactly how the update is done.
>
> You have to see that the LDP web site is quite complex.

It's important to remember that David Greaves is looking for someone
_else_ to submit and maintain for LDP what he calls a replacement for
the orphaned Software RAID HOWTO.  Last I heard, he wasn't even willing
to do as much as e-mail it to the LDP submission address, as the Author
Guide specifies -- nor to put a proper revision history or licence
statement into his document.

A person named "Borden" ####@####.#### said a couple of months
back that he would be taken on those maintenance duties; by contrast,
Mr. Greaves consistently declines.

> But in the future, the best system is to open a page on the wiki

I'd be surprised to see Mr. Greaves being willing to do that, either.

Mr. Greaves's sum-total contribution to date has been to complain on
this mailing list, which he actually has the nerve to call "helping
where I can".

--
Cheers,                "You do not examine legislation in light of the benefits
Rick Moen              it will convey if properly administered, but in light of
From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Oct 2008 19:54:30 +0100

Rick Moen a écrit :

> Mr. Greaves's (...)

grinning don't make any good either :-))

and Greg did answer

> > in short: a docbook file is sent on submit... what happen?

1. Data copied up to the ibiblio server

2. Data published using my ldp_mk script. Entire toolchain is present
   on the ibiblio server. Script creates all variants: HTML,
   HTML single file, PDF, Postscript, text, pluckerDB).

3. Data copied into proper locations (and packaged if need
   be) using script ldp_cp

we go forward...

jdd