discuss: Thread: mirrors

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: mirrors
From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 3 Feb 2005 15:06:53 -0000

Subject: Re: mirrors
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 3 Feb 2005 21:42:03 -0000

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 15:11 +0000, Machtelt Garrels wrote:
> The next two weeks I will be performing a checkup of all our mirrors.
> [...]  By that time, I will also have a new map ready, conveniently
> displaying TLDP resources, and some statistics.

Excellent. As a user of the site, I thank you.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz ####@####.####

From: Mail Lists ####@####.####
Date: 5 Nov 2008 21:00:07 +0000

Hello to all,
as a new volunteer I have followed the suggestions on the Browse the Mirrors
page, and have been checking the mirrors in the UK.  Of the seven listed only
two resolved, and the rest either did not resolve or came up with page not
found (404) or displayed a different page to the LDP mirror that was
expected.  Given that five had failed;

http://webdocs.essex.ac.uk/LDP/
http://ldp.cherryfive.com/
http://ldp.doc-linux.co.uk/LDP/
http://mirror.powdarrmonkey.net/LDP/
http://www.tyneside.lug.org.uk/LDP/

do I;
1 just mark these sites as no longer mirroring in the mirrors page, and email
nobody?
2 Or delete their entry completely from that page, and email nobody?
3 Or perhaps email the admin responsible (do we have addresses for each site
or do we take contact details from the site or from a whois result if there
are no details) and ask what has happened?

Also should any emails sent to admins come from a tldp.org address?  If so do
I have access to a tldp mail account?

The two that are mirroring correctly;

http://newton.ex.ac.uk/LDP/
http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/sites/www.tldp.org/

checked out fine, except for one little niggle that I have been unable to
puzzle out.  When clicking on the man page link,

http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/sites/www.tldp.org/docs.html#man

my browser presented me with a message box asking what I wanted to do with
man.php, download it or open it with a different application.  This happened
on both sites at the same link.  My browser is Firefox 3.0.3.  I tried it in
Opera 9.6.2, and the same thing happened.  However when trying the home site
at the same link,

http://tldp.org/docs.html#man

the page loads correctly.  I don't where the error lies with this fault.
Perhaps somebody with more knowledge may be able to enlighten me.
Sorry for the long post.  Thanks for your help.
Allister Gearon.
Subject: Re: [discuss] Mirrors
From: Sven Grounsell ####@####.####
Date: 5 Nov 2008 21:09:22 +0000

Am Wed, 5 Nov 2008 20:59:12 +0000
schrieb Mail Lists ####@####.####
> do I;
> 1 just mark these sites as no longer mirroring in the mirrors page,
> and email nobody?
> 2 Or delete their entry completely from that page, and email nobody?
> 3 Or perhaps email the admin responsible (do we have addresses for
> each site or do we take contact details from the site or from a whois
> result if there are no details) and ask what has happened?
>
> Also should any emails sent to admins come from a tldp.org address?
>  If so do I have access to a tldp mail account?

As far as I remember, I had to provide a mail-address, when I got
registered as running a mirror. On my behalf, I would expect a mail
from ####@####.#### or similar regarding administrative stuff (which this
matter would obviously be) about my mirror - and yes, I also would
prefer the 3rd method, because it could just be some temporary
technical problem with my site... Dunno, what TLDP's policy is.

But on the other hand, I believe, that I can remember some statement,
that "violations" whatsoever of being a correct mirror result in
delisting - which also would be reasonably fine to me. But I can quite
well be mistaken, there.

Regards,
Sven
From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 6 Nov 2008 06:41:57 +0000

Mail Lists a écrit :
> do I;
> 1 just mark these sites as no longer mirroring in the mirrors page, and email
> nobody?

now we are very late as of dealing with mirrors, so this is the first
step to take, with indication of the date of the notice. Then we will
try to solve the problem or identify it.

this can be fairly fast and then we may have a better look of the
situation and of the way to fix it

> 2 Or delete their entry completely from that page, and email nobody?

no. Better not delete it too fast

> 3 Or perhaps email the admin responsible (do we have addresses for each site
> or do we take contact details from the site or from a whois result if there
> are no details) and ask what has happened?

this is the best way. But we have to find the mail... because it was
not on the original page :-(

and we can't use the mail archives, because there in mails are removed
:-(. I will investigate this soon

> Also should any emails sent to admins come from a tldp.org address?  If so do
> I have access to a tldp mail account?

right now we don't have any tldp.org e-mail (AFAIK) - may be this is a
thing we can open, but this is not a priority

> checked out fine, except for one little niggle that I have been unable to
> puzzle out.  When clicking on the man page link,
>
> http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/sites/www.tldp.org/docs.html#man

I will look at this

and thanks for the help, very appreciated

jdd

--
jdd for the Linux Documentation Project
http://wiki.tldp.org