discuss: Thread: wiki suggestions/questions

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: wiki suggestions/questions
From: Ariane Keller ####@####.####
Date: 4 Oct 2008 21:37:52 +0100

Hi

I'm porting my "Kernel Space, User Space Interfaces" howto to the wiki
format. From this "experience" I've got two suggestions/questions:

- Each time, I want to save a change to my howto, I'm asked to answer
the question "Who is the Fearless Leader of ibiblio?"
I'm aware of the spamming problem, but is a login alone not enough to
prevent spam? Is it really necessary to ask this question every time?

- Is it possible to split one howto into multiple source files? If the
howto has a certain length it is cumbersome to scroll the whole file to
insert the text at the right position.

Thanks!

Ariane
Subject: Re: [discuss] wiki suggestions/questions
From: "Sergiusz Pawlowicz" ####@####.####
Date: 4 Oct 2008 22:10:13 +0100

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 9:37 PM, Ariane Keller
####@####.####

> Hi
>
> I'm porting my "Kernel Space, User Space Interfaces" howto to the wiki
> format. From this "experience" I've got two suggestions/questions:
>
> - Each time, I want to save a change to my howto, I'm asked to answer the
> question "Who is the Fearless Leader of ibiblio?"
> I'm aware of the spamming problem, but is a login alone not enough to
> prevent spam? Is it really necessary to ask this question every time?

Yes, unfortunately there is no other option, as login is not enough, we are
still spammed.
But, we can add particular, verified users into special group,
NotextchaGroup - and these people
will be not asked for antispam questions.

- Is it possible to split one howto into multiple source files? If the howto
> has a certain length it is cumbersome to scroll the whole file to insert the
> text at the right position.

No, but you can crtl-a, crtl-c, ctrl-v whole content into external editor,
edit it, and paste back.

cheers,
S.
From: Ariane Keller ####@####.####
Date: 4 Oct 2008 22:15:16 +0100

Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 9:37 PM, Ariane Keller
> ####@####.####
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm porting my "Kernel Space, User Space Interfaces" howto to the wiki
>> format. From this "experience" I've got two suggestions/questions:
>>
>> - Each time, I want to save a change to my howto, I'm asked to answer the
>> question "Who is the Fearless Leader of ibiblio?"
>> I'm aware of the spamming problem, but is a login alone not enough to
>> prevent spam? Is it really necessary to ask this question every time?
>

> Yes, unfortunately there is no other option, as login is not enough, we are
> still spammed.
> But, we can add particular, verified users into special group,
> NotextchaGroup - and these people
> will be not asked for antispam questions.

This would be great!

> - Is it possible to split one howto into multiple source files? If the howto
>> has a certain length it is cumbersome to scroll the whole file to insert the
>> text at the right position.
>

> No, but you can crtl-a, crtl-c, ctrl-v whole content into external editor,
> edit it, and paste back.

Hm, this will work - but is not the nicest solution...

Thanks!

--
Ariane Keller
Communication Systems Research Group, ETH Zurich
From: "Sergiusz Pawlowicz" ####@####.####
Date: 4 Oct 2008 22:47:04 +0100

done! help for or admins how to do it: http://wiki.tldp.org/a

>> - Is it possible to split one howto into multiple source files? If the howto
>>> has a certain length it is cumbersome to scroll the whole file to insert the
>>> text at the right position.
>>
>> No, but you can crtl-a, crtl-c, ctrl-v whole content into external editor,
>> edit it, and paste back.
>
> Hm, this will work - but is not the nicest solution...

there are no perfect solutions on our world.

you can work with moin wiki developers and us to improve
wiki engine as well, and enable multisource files.

s.
From: "James Hess" ####@####.####
Date: 4 Oct 2008 23:14:36 +0100

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 3:37 PM, Ariane Keller
####@####.#### wrote:
> - Each time, I want to save a change to my howto, I'm asked to answer the
> question "Who is the Fearless Leader of ibiblio?"
> I'm aware of the spamming problem, but is a login alone not enough to
> prevent spam? Is it really necessary to ask this question every time?

Must agree that repeated captcha is a real pest, distraction, and
source of losing
edits --  I mean, I close the browser window, only to find the
software didn't really
save the changes when I clicked OK.

Reasonable software should be able to see that a login user has answered the
question is answered once or twice and bother no more....

And in any case ask the captcha before presenting the user with a text
box for editing, not
after or while they are editing...

--
-J
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 5 Oct 2008 08:15:47 +0100

Ariane Keller a écrit :

> prevent spam? Is it really necessary to ask this question every time?

Firefox keeps the emory of the content, so it's only necessary to key
in the first letter ("p" :-), so I didn't even bother to set me in the
no text cha group

> - Is it possible to split one howto into multiple source files? If the
> howto has a certain length it is cumbersome to scroll the whole file to
> insert the text at the right position.

you can look at the wiki author guide http://wiki.tldp.org/WikiAuthorGuide

but be aware that this is a very preliminary version I'm just writing
:-) (preliminary because I'm new to MoiMoin wiki, among other things)

in your case, you can plan to use one level of sub pages.

Sub pages are pages setup with the name [[/subpage]]. They name become
in full [[mainpage/subpage]], a little like chapters

however, this is not to be used too much, because it's not that easy
for the casual reader and, for example, it makes it difficult to print
the HOWTO

anyway, the wiki is only there to help writing and editing, the final
version will be available as html (one or multiple pages, at the buser
choice)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net