discuss: Thread: contacting old ldp timers

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: contacting old ldp timers
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 17 Aug 2008 18:21:07 +0100

some of them listen to this list (hello :-)), but not all of them.
Anyway LDP belongs mostly to them, people in this list:

http://tldp.org/vlist.html

I think the least we can do is to write them to thanks them for the
past work, show what you try to do, invite them to give any advice and
participate and ask them to bless us :-))

If you agree, I can write the mail, but is that necessary or can we
take for granted they already knows all this?

People of choice, if you read above my shoulder, say so, your advice
is very important to me :-))

jdd
--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org
From: Martin Wheeler ####@####.####
Date: 17 Aug 2008 19:41:02 +0100

Also, http://tldp.org/contrib.html
--
Martin Wheeler - G5FM   +44 1458 83-1103 - Glastonbury - BA6 9PH - England
####@####.####   http://martinwheeler.net/   http://avalonit.net/

From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 18 Aug 2008 07:29:13 +0100

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 07:20:48PM +0200, jdd wrote:
> some of them listen to this list (hello :-)), but not all of them.
> Anyway LDP belongs mostly to them, people in this list:
                     partly

> http://tldp.org/vlist.html

This needs some revision.  Since someone is listed who deals with
Doc-Book, I could be mentioned as dealing with LinuxDoc as I've
written a HOWTO on it and submitted bug reports that finally got a few
bugs fixed.  And at one time I took a brief look at the scripts that
run the translation of sgml to html and plain text.  Martin Wheeler is
missing from this list.  And shouldn't jdd be added to it?

> I think the least we can do is to write them to thanks them for the past
> work, show what you try to do, invite them to give any advice and
> participate and ask them to bless us :-))

This seems to imply that the wiki aspect of LDP is replacing the
depository aspect.  It's not.  There's no need for LDP people to thank
each other.  Authors should get thank-you notes once in a while from
readers, with the note often added to an email reporting "bugs" in the
doc.  Also, David Merrill deserves a lot of thanks but is not longer
around.

> If you agree, I can write the mail, but is that necessary or can we
> take for granted they already knows all this?
>
> People of choice, if you read above my shoulder, say so, your advice
> is very important to me :-))
>
> jdd -- http://www.dodin.net http://valerie.dodin.org
>
> ______________________ http://lists.tldp.org/

			David Lawyer
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 18 Aug 2008 09:45:25 +0100

David Lawyer a écrit :

> This needs some revision.  Since someone is listed who deals with
> Doc-Book, I could be mentioned as dealing with LinuxDoc

nobody could have any doubt about this :-)

> bugs fixed.  And at one time I took a brief look at the scripts that
> run the translation of sgml to html and plain text.

I would like to explain on the wiki how these tasks are managed (what
happen when a HOWTO is submitted). Could you give me some clues? (ay
be not in this thread)

>> I think the least we can do is to write them to thanks them for the past
>> work, show what you try to do, invite them to give any advice and
>> participate and ask them to bless us :-))
>
> This seems to imply that the wiki aspect of LDP is replacing the
> depository aspect.  It's not.

I just want to emphasis on this aspect. The wiki being new may be seen
as a replacement, when it's not. But some LDP people work in the dark,
nearly never write on the list

  There's no need for LDP people to thank
> each other.

there is a need when taking initiatives to state that this is not to
get away the old staff but to enforce it. I'm a little worried to go
ahead without be sure nobody is hurted by what we do.

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org
From: Martin Wheeler ####@####.####
Date: 18 Aug 2008 13:37:17 +0100

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008, David Lawyer wrote:

>   Martin Wheeler is
> missing from this list.  And shouldn't jdd be added to it?

Thanks for mentioning that.  I tried to remedy the situation by responding
to the invitation to contact the tldp-feedback e-mail address given.

N E V E R   A G A I N !

I have been *inundated* all morning by spam quite obviously connected to
that address -- it seems that replying to ####@####.#### is an
open invitation to have one's e-mail address added to a list of spammers
which even my ISP (very easy-going) won't tolerate.

Can someone do something about that, please?

> This seems to imply that the wiki aspect of LDP is replacing the
> depository aspect.  It's not.

And I don't think anyone seriously thinks that.  It's just that some
people have a different way of working; and will choose to use the wiki
over any other method.

>   Also, David Merrill deserves a lot of thanks but is no longer
> around.

I second that sentiment.

From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 18 Aug 2008 13:57:10 +0100

Martin Wheeler a écrit :

> I have been *inundated* all morning by spam quite obviously connected to
> that address -- it seems that replying to ####@####.#### is an
> open invitation to have one's e-mail address added to a list of spammers
> which even my ISP (very easy-going) won't tolerate.
>
> Can someone do something about that, please?

I've seen somewhere than the ldp mail server have mostly work to fight
spam. Thbis seems to be quite a success, because I quite never see
spam on the ldp lists.

may be it's *my* (thunderbird) antispam that is good (I have ~500 spam
a day automatically trashed)

may also somebody subscribe this list to a public list archive, try
searching google with your e-mail (but for this morning google may not
have it yet indexed)

Sergius is in vacation, I don't even know if the list server was
migrated to the new hardware

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 17 Dec 2008 21:34:48 +0000

jdd wrote:

> some of them listen to this list (hello :-)), but not all of them.
> Anyway LDP belongs mostly to them, people in this list:
>
> http://tldp.org/vlist.html

I am on the list and while I have been somewhat quiet lately I have not
given up the work or the plans. When I have the time to spare I go through
the email traffic and as uyou can see I am now working on the August postings.

> I think the least we can do is to write them to thanks them for the
> past work, show what you try to do, invite them to give any advice and
> participate and ask them to bless us :-))

I am listed as technical contributor and that is where my main interests
lie. That however should not stop others from joining in as much remains to
be done, particularly regarding document management systems that have been
discussed for more years I can remember.

> If you agree, I can write the mail, but is that necessary or can we
> take for granted they already knows all this?
>
> People of choice, if you read above my shoulder, say so, your advice
> is very important to me :-))

I have earlier been sceptical about wikis but I did give it a try. It will
be interesting to see how this new effort goes.

On the non-technical side I hope we can have someone write the LDP Weekly
News. I did a few way back but day time work requires more hours than I had
expected so it will be a while before I find teh time myself. Still, news
postings can help the visibility of LDP.

Regards,
    Stein

From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 18 Dec 2008 07:55:46 +0000

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 10:34:06PM +0100, Stein Gjoen wrote:
> I am on the list and while I have been somewhat quiet lately I have not
> given up the work or the plans. When I have the time to spare I go
> through the email traffic and as uyou can see I am now working on the
> August postings.

I'm also way behind but skip over many postings to read (and sometimes
respond to) the latest ones.  In my case, I could make the time to
follow LDP fully, but think my other volunteer activity:
writing/researching energy and transportation, is more important so
I'm trying to put in more time there (and less time on LDP).  My
transportation and energy stuff is on my website at
www.lafn.org/~dave and much of it needs a lot of work.