discuss: Thread: Status of the HOWTOs.

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Status of the HOWTOs.
From: mhydra ####@####.####
Date: 24 Sep 2008 14:45:57 +0100

Hey guys,
I need you help. I started to work on that
http://wiki.tldp.org/Page_Status but they are too many authors and I
am afraid that I can not handle all of them.
So, if you can help with some of them I will be really appreciated.
If we can separate all the documents by 3, then if 3 man of us
participate, then we will have 90 contacted authors.
This will be the faster way instead one person to send emails to all of them.

Guess who is on top of the rank lists for spamming this week. :D
Yes, that's me.

Please see the following lines if you wish to participate. That is the
email that I send to authors. It is something like a template and it
is very useful.
You just have to edit the part with the HOWTO name (it is marked with
the text "edit this line") and then send the email with the subject
"Status of a "The Linux Documentation Project" HOWTO."

The email:

Hello,
I am reviewer and supporter of TLDP. We are currently  trying to
determine the status of all the documents in TLDP's repository. Many
of pages there are outdated and we hope to update and improve them.
In order to achieve that, the current TLDP staff (including myself)
collects information about the documents(HOWTOs, articles and others
as well).

According to TLDP documents, you are the author of  "edit this line"

Could you please answer the following questions?
1. Would you like to maintain your published document?
2. Would you like your document to be edited by others? We made wiki
for that scenario with hope to attract more people to support,
maintain and update pages there.
3. Do you agree your HOWTO to be copied to the wiki WITH GFDL license?
You could find TLDP wiki at wiki.tldp.org. GFDL license is widely
spread and used license for documentation. You could find a reference
at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl-1.2-standalone.html

4. Do you agree your HOWTO to be managed on the wiki (control the
editing process, acknowledge versions for copy to the static mirrored
part).

And a personal request. Since we have limited resources, very limited
I would remark. So, we need every man that could spread the idea and
information of TLDP. And I would like to ask for your support and
help. Tell others, spread the news and information for TLDP and our
new project - TLDP wiki.

You could find the TLDP wiki at address - wiki.tldp.org
And also a discussion for the net TLDP manifesto -
http://wiki.tldp.org/WikiManifesto
And the Getting Involved page -
http://wiki.tldp.org/Rewriting%20Manifesto/GettingInvolved

Thank you in advance.

Svetoslav P. Chukov
Subject: Re: [discuss] Status of the HOWTOs.
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 24 Sep 2008 14:55:58 +0100

mhydra a écrit :
> Hey guys,

 The email:

I copied the e-mail here:

http://wiki.tldp.org/LetterToAuthors

and slightly changed it to point to the default LDP Licence (GFDL
without invariant)

jdd

http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-eic8MSSfM
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 28 Sep 2008 03:40:30 +0100

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 04:45:57PM +0300, mhydra wrote:
> Hey guys,
> I need you help. I started to work on that
> http://wiki.tldp.org/Page_Status but they are too many authors and I
> am afraid that I can not handle all of them.
> So, if you can help with some of them I will be really appreciated.
> If we can separate all the documents by 3, then if 3 man of us
> participate, then we will have 90 contacted authors.
> This will be the faster way instead one person to send emails to all of them.
A few years ago Tilley sent out form emails to authors whose HOWTOs
were out of date.  She likely has a script to do this.

> Guess who is on top of the rank lists for spamming this week. :D
> Yes, that's me.
>
> Please see the following lines if you wish to participate. That is the
> email that I send to authors. It is something like a template and it
> is very useful.
> You just have to edit the part with the HOWTO name (it is marked with
> the text "edit this line") and then send the email with the subject
> "Status of a "The Linux Documentation Project" HOWTO."

For one thing, this draft needs to be edited by someone who knows
English well, like M. Wheeler.  Ditto for what jdd writes.  But more
than that, the draft also needs to be completely rewritten.  Since
it's mainly about the wiki, the first or second sentence should make
this clear.  Asking an author if they would like to maintain their doc
shouldn't be done.  The authors were expected to maintain their docs.
But there's no way to require the authors to do so.  Many don't have
the time, and others have not kept up-to-date on the topic of their
HOWTO.

Sure, most authors would "like" to maintain their doc, if they follow
the subject and have time.  But will they do it?  Many authors don't
know if they will find the time to do it, so you can't really ask them
(as yes or no question) if they'll be able to maintain it in the
future.  Most don't know for sure.  Also this proposed email doesn't
explain that as a wiki, they (or someone else) needs to check over the
changes made to the wiki and periodically approve of them.  So what's
wrong with the proposed email is much more than just some problems in
writing English and also more than the few points I've noted above.
Even so, it might be better to send something like this out than to do
nothing.