discuss: Thread: documents on wiki and licence

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: documents on wiki and licence
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 16 Sep 2008 07:38:04 +0100

I said in the thread:

  [discuss] Would like to maintain Linux Networking Howto

and as I feared, GPL and GFDL are not compatible. We have to be
cautious about licence in putting documents on the wiki.

Better set the acl write off for zny document we don't manage
completely with GFDL as long as we don't know

added a task fot this.

jdd
--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org
From: "Senthil Kumaran" ####@####.####
Date: 16 Sep 2008 07:42:59 +0100

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:07 PM, jdd ####@####.#### wrote:

> Better set the acl write off for zny document we don't manage completely
> with GFDL as long as we don't know

Did not quite get this one. Would you care to explain bit more.

Thanks,
Senthil
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 16 Sep 2008 19:17:03 +0100

Senthil Kumaran a écrit :
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:07 PM, jdd ####@####.#### wrote:
>
>> Better set the acl write off for zny document we don't manage completely
>> with GFDL as long as we don't know
>
> Did not quite get this one. Would you care to explain bit more.

> http://wiki.tldp.org/HelpOnAccessControlLists?action=show&redirect=HelpOnAcl

and zny should be "any" :-(

I'm not that easy about acl's, In think

#acl All:read

should be enough, but we have to try.

only an admin can so so, enough to point the pages to be closed and we
will do - if you continue working with us, we will make you able to
do. anyway this should be the exception (closing a page)

jdd

From: mhydra ####@####.####
Date: 16 Sep 2008 19:23:16 +0100

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 9:16 PM, jdd ####@####.#### wrote:
> Senthil Kumaran a écrit :
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:07 PM, jdd ####@####.#### wrote:
>>
>>> Better set the acl write off for zny document we don't manage completely
>>> with GFDL as long as we don't know
>>
>> Did not quite get this one. Would you care to explain bit more.
>

>> http://wiki.tldp.org/HelpOnAccessControlLists?action=show&redirect=HelpOnAcl
>
> and zny should be "any" :-(
>
> I'm not that easy about acl's, In think
>
> #acl All:read
>
> should be enough, but we have to try.
>
> only an admin can so so, enough to point the pages to be closed and we will
> do - if you continue working with us, we will make you able to do. anyway
> this should be the exception (closing a page)
>
> jdd

So, I suppose the next step would be immediate closing of all the
available pages on the Wiki?
I think that is the best we can do now. When we have the permission of
all the authors then we could open the pages again and put more pages
there.

mhydra
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 16 Sep 2008 19:34:25 +0100

mhydra a écrit :

> So, I suppose the next step would be immediate closing of all the
> available pages on the Wiki?
> I think that is the best we can do now. When we have the permission of
> all the authors then we could open the pages again and put more pages
> there.

we have to read the licence before publishing, yes

may be set a page to note what licence is wiki-compatible.

"© The Linux Documentation Project, 1992-2008. Site credits. "

as a footer is probably not that good.

I would vote to set the same one as wikipedia, with a small change:

All text [change: with no other licence] is available under the terms
of the GNU Free Documentation License. (See Copyrights for details.)

jdd