discuss: Thread: DocBook Wiki--was it considered?

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: DocBook Wiki--was it considered?
From: Randy Kramer ####@####.####
Date: 17 Aug 2008 16:39:10 +0100

I'm not trying to slow down the wiki project currently going on (I'm only
vaguely paying attention to what is going on here) but I came across the
DocBook wiki and wondered if it was considered, and if so, what drawbacks /
concerns made TLDP choose MoinMoin instead?  (It could be that the DocBook
wiki is either a dead or a very slowly developing project, still at an early
beta stage.)

   * [[http://doc-book.sourceforge.net/homepage/][DocBook Wiki]]--I don't
know the status of this project, but there is apparently at least one version
available for download
'
The features of DocBookWiki can be summarized like this:
   * Can display a DocBook document online.
   * Can display several documents at once (a list of books).
   * Can display each of them in several languages.
   * Allows to edit a certain section of a certain book in a certain language.
   * Editing can be done in several modes, like text, html, xml, texi, latex
etc.
   * The basic format is always DocBook (XML), no matter how it is displayed
or edited.
   * Each document (in each language) can be converted automatically into
other formats (like PDF, RTF, LaTeX, etc.) for downloading.
   * All the history of modifications is kept (in CVS) and any previous
versions of a document can be recovered (by tag or by date) by the admin of
the site.
   * Authentication of editors can be enabled and admin can assign different
access rights and permissions to the editors.

In short, DocBookWiki will be like a wikiwiki which saves the content in XML
(DocBook) format.
'

Randy Kramer
--
"I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
instead."--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 17 Aug 2008 18:04:44 +0100

Randy Kramer a écrit :

>    * [[http://doc-book.sourceforge.net/homepage/][DocBook Wiki]]--I don't
> know the status of this project, but there is apparently at least one version
> available for download

same question was asked sometimes ago, and the answer was taht this
one is a one people only project, may be not as reliable as necessary

but I have no personal opinion

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org
From: "Svetoslav P. Chukov" ####@####.####
Date: 18 Aug 2008 08:57:48 +0100

I will have closer look about DocBook Wiki. It really sounds like our
perfect solution. It is interesting to see how good the wiki could take the
DocBook documents, because the TLDP documents are some kind different. Many
of them are DocBook XML, but I noticed some differencies in others. And
there are also SGML documents as well.

Svetoslav P. Chukov

From: Martin Wheeler ####@####.####
Date: 18 Aug 2008 14:08:11 +0100

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Svetoslav P. Chukov wrote:

> I will have closer look about DocBook Wiki. It really sounds like our
> perfect solution. It is interesting to see how good the wiki could take the
> DocBook documents, because the TLDP documents are some kind different. Many
> of them are DocBook XML, but I noticed some differencies in others. And
> there are also SGML documents as well.

To answer the original question -- to be brutally honest, I don't think it
was.  I suspect most people take one look at the overt religious message
on the sourceforge page and say to themselves: "I'm keeping *well* away
from this".
Shame about that.
[It's a pig to install; but a debian system will take most of the hassle
out of that for you.]

As for the moin-moin wiki we have -- can someone please explain to me >>in
very simple terms<< just HOW the hell I get the wiki to display DocBook
markup so that I can edit it directly from the wiki?

The best I've managed so far is to get a compacted (no line feeds)
version to fire up then download itself into an _external_ word-processor.
NOT very satisfactory.
The version of moin-moin I played with a few years ago allowed me to edit
in either wiki markup or Docbook markup, directly within the wiki itself.
What's happened here?
Has ibiblio not got the local xslt processing set up correctly?

Interested (would-be) editors would like to know.
--
Martin Wheeler - G5FM   +44 1458 83-1103 - Glastonbury - BA6 9PH - England
####@####.####   http://martinwheeler.net/   http://avalonit.net/

From: "Svetoslav P. Chukov" ####@####.####
Date: 18 Aug 2008 15:09:24 +0100

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Martin Wheeler ####@####.####

>  The version of moin-moin I played with a few years ago allowed me to edit
> in either wiki markup or Docbook markup, directly within the wiki itself.
> What's happened here?
> Has ibiblio not got the local xslt processing set up correctly?

I am not  sure, but Sergiusz installed some packages. Basically MoinMoin can
handle DocBook XML very well but actually we have to configure MoinMoin. So,
we are in process of doing that.

Svetoslav P. Chukov

From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 18 Aug 2008 15:25:10 +0100

Martin Wheeler a écrit :

> As for the moin-moin wiki we have -- can someone please explain to me >>in
> very simple terms<< just HOW the hell I get the wiki to display DocBook
> markup so that I can edit it directly from the wiki?

I don't know. In fact I'm mainly interested in wiki->docbook
translation, to be able to include the wiki page into the LDP collection.

these two pages seems to give the cookbook:

http://moinmo.in/DocBook
http://moinmo.in/HelpOnXmlPages

but simply pasting
#format docbook

in the wiki sandbox gives:

Erreur d'exécution : I/O: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/nwalsh/html/db_compiled.dat'

and as I'm not a debian user it would be better if any other admin
could look at this. If nobody can, I will try though

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org
From: Martin Wheeler ####@####.####
Date: 18 Aug 2008 20:06:11 +0100

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Svetoslav P. Chukov wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Martin Wheeler ####@####.####
>
> > What's happened here?
> > Has ibiblio not got the local xslt processing set up correctly?
>
> I am not  sure ... Basically MoinMoin can
> handle DocBook XML very well

Yup .. I can agree with that, having played with it extensively a few
years ago.  (Hence my surprise.)

>  but actually we have to configure MoinMoin. So,
> we are in process of doing that.

OK -- I wasn't sure whether you had finished the setup yet, or not.

Thanks for that.
Cheers,
From: Martin Wheeler ####@####.####
Date: 18 Aug 2008 20:12:13 +0100

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, jdd wrote:

>  as I'm not a debian user it would be better if any other admin could look
> at this. If nobody can, I will try though

Nah -- I wouldn't.  Bitter personal experience has taught me that in this
field you *really* have to know inside-out what software you've got
installed on your machine; and where.

Otherwise you turn in circles, slowly going crazy trying to figure out
where the next link in the chain is.

Docbook systems are like that.  Sigh.

[PS - And Linuxdoc systems are no better!]
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 18 Aug 2008 21:37:21 +0100

Martin Wheeler a écrit :
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, jdd wrote:
>
>>  as I'm not a debian user it would be better if any other admin could look
>> at this. If nobody can, I will try though
>
> Nah -- I wouldn't.  Bitter personal experience has taught me that in this
> field you *really* have to know inside-out what software you've got
> installed on your machine; and where.

don't worry, I'm accutomed to do that, but it's a long process, that's
why I' not that in a hurry to take it :-)

> Docbook systems are like that.  Sigh.

no so hard

> [PS - And Linuxdoc systems are no better!]

I could work with linuxdoc before being able to write with vi :-).
This one is *really easy* if you start with a template (much easier
than pure html)

docbook is not difficult, it's only boring

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org
From: Martin Wheeler ####@####.####
Date: 18 Aug 2008 23:21:52 +0100

Well folks -- I hate to be the one bringing micturition to the
pyrotechnics, specially when you're so happy and all -- but I've just
installed docbookwiki ['apt-get install docbookwiki'] on one of my servers
and bingo! -- instant working online docbook editor: producing plaintext,
HTML and LaTeX as well.  No probs.
[Whereas I'm *still* fighting moinmoin to get it to do what I want.]

That does it for me -- it may not give me all the bells and whistles of
the usual wiki environment (i.e. endless unindexed pages which are hell
on wheels to navigate through); but it *does* provide a collaborative
book-editing environment, which is fundamentally all I want from it.

Perhaps we ought to re-think our strategy a little here -- maybe even have
*two* wikis (docbookwiki for nothing but book-editing; other wiki for the
social chatter and ancillary discussions.)

What do folks think?
(I advise trying out docbookwiki before making up your mind.  Seriously.]

Maybe even get some of our programming folks to start working on it?