discuss: Thread: acl's on the wiki

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: acl's on the wiki
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 30 Aug 2008 08:40:12 +0100

AFAIK, the acl's are activated on our wiki. (the correct line is
inserted in the config file, if there is other thing to to, I can)

I inserted the line
#acl All:

and some garbage text on this page:

http://wiki.tldp.org/draft01

if I understand well, nobody should be able to read this page (out of
the logged in administrator).

however, when I connect on the page (from an other browser, without
login), I can read it.

do you have an idea??

thanks
jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org
From: "Robert Spencer" ####@####.####
Date: 31 Aug 2008 18:45:26 +0100

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 9:39 AM, jdd ####@####.#### wrote:
> AFAIK, the acl's are activated on our wiki. (the correct line is inserted in
> the config file, if there is other thing to to, I can)
>
> I inserted the line
> #acl All:
>
> and some garbage text on this page:
>
> http://wiki.tldp.org/draft01

Please don't make random experimental pages, this is the right place
for experiments:

http://wiki.tldp.org/WikiSandBox

That page is now going to be permanently in the wiki history, even if
you later delete it. Alternately make a personal test page that you
can recycle.

http://wiki.tldp.org/jdd/TestPage

> if I understand well, nobody should be able to read this page (out of the
> logged in administrator).

That's my understanding too.

> however, when I connect on the page (from an other browser, without login),
> I can read it.

Ditto.

> do you have an idea??

Yes, that's a horribly bad idea. Why are you trying to hide things?
One of our existing problems in the LDP is a lack of transparency and
the resultant confusion.

I think the following quote sum things up nicely (emphases mine):

10. Usage cases

10.1. Public community Wiki on the Internet

The most important point here is to use ACLs *only* in cases where
really needed. Wikis depend on *openness of information* and free
editing. They use soft security to clean up bad stuff. So there is no
general need for ACLs. If you use them too much, you might *destroy*
the way wiki works.

This is why either ACLs should not be used at all (default) or, if
used, the wikiconfig.py should look similar to that:

acl_rights_before = u'WikiEditorName:read,write,admin,delete,revert
+AdminGroup:admin BadGuy:'

The default acl_rights_default option should be ok for you:

acl_rights_default = u'Known:read,write,delete,revert All:read,write'

A good advice is to have only a few and very trusted admins in
AdminGroup (they should be very aware of how a wiki works or they
would maybe *accidentally destroy* the way the wiki works: by its
openness, not by being closed and locked!).

http://wiki.tldp.org/HelpOnAccessControlLists

Purely as a theoretical and educational exercise, I'd suggest rolling
back to the default ACL and then seeing if that setting works.

You may also be effected by a caching proxy.

--
Robert Spencer