discuss: Thread: Game Server HOWTO

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Game Server HOWTO
From: Anders J-U ####@####.####
Date: 27 Jan 2001 01:40:21 -0000

Hello,

Here's an early version of my Game Server HOWTO I've been working on for a
while. It describes how to install and configure servers for the most
popular multiplayer first-person shooters (eventually I'll also add
Freeciv/Tetrinet). It's not yet ready; I'm going to add several Quake3
modifications, more to Half-Life, tools (log analyzers and such) and revise
everything. There are probably a bunch of grammatical errors/typos (hey,
I'm from Sweden damnit! ;), but here it is anyway:

http://kulladal-56-32.ip-pluggen.com/howtos/eng/html/Game-Server-HOWTO/index.html

and SGML:

http://kulladal-56-32.ip-pluggen.com/howtos/eng/html/Game-Server-HOWTO/Game-Server-HOWTO.sgml

I don't know how good/bad the SGML code is, I learned as I wrote the HOWTO.

Anyway, any comments/suggestions/criticism is appreciated..

--
Anders "AndmaN" Jensen-Urstad
####@####.#### / ICQ#: 3674607

From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 21 Feb 2001 02:58:00 -0000

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 02:27:30AM +0100, Anders J-U wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here's an early version of my Game Server HOWTO I've been working on for a
> while. It describes how to install and configure servers for the most
> popular multiplayer first-person shooters (eventually I'll also add
> Freeciv/Tetrinet). It's not yet ready; I'm going to add several Quake3
> modifications, more to Half-Life, tools (log analyzers and such) and revise
> everything. There are probably a bunch of grammatical errors/typos (hey,
> I'm from Sweden damnit! ;), but here it is anyway:
>
> http://kulladal-56-32.ip-pluggen.com/howtos/eng/html/Game-Server-HOWTO/index.html
>
> and SGML:
>
> http://kulladal-56-32.ip-pluggen.com/howtos/eng/html/Game-Server-HOWTO/Game-Server-HOWTO.sgml
>
> I don't know how good/bad the SGML code is, I learned as I wrote the HOWTO.
>
> Anyway, any comments/suggestions/criticism is appreciated..

Has anybody had a chance to look at this? I was just reviewing old
mail logs and found nobody had answered this message.

fwiw Anders, you might get better feedback as to the *content* of the
document on a gamers site. I don't know if we have any passionate
gamers here or not.

Of course as soon as I say we don't, a dozen will pop up saying "oh
yeah, well what about me?" :-)

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####
                                       Finger me for my public key

Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow.
From: Anders J-U ####@####.####
Date: 8 Apr 2002 15:57:58 -0000

I wrote an howto about installing and configuring servers for various multiplayer games more than a year ago; it's pretty complete, revised last summer, but officially it never left draft status. I'd hate to see it go to waste so it'd be great if someone would pick it up.

It's all at http://illuminatus.unixsweden.net/~andman/howto/

--
Anders Jensen-Urstad - ####@####.####
(+46) 73 0319296 / ICQ# 3674607
From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 9 Apr 2002 13:51:06 -0000

On Apr 8,  5:57pm, Anders J-U wrote:
> Subject: Game Server HOWTO
> I wrote an howto about installing and configuring servers for various
> multiplayer games more than a year ago; it's pretty complete, revised
> last summer, but officially it never left draft status. I'd hate to
> see it go to waste so it'd be great if someone would pick it up.
>
> It's all at http://illuminatus.unixsweden.net/~andman/howto/

Do you still intend to update and maintain the document?

--
Greg Ferguson    * SGI principal engr / LDP contributor
SGI Tech Pubs    * http://techpubs.sgi.com/ | gferg(at)sgi.com
Date: 11 Apr 2002 04:08:50 -0000

I would like to pick up this howto and mantain it.