discuss: Thread: DocBook question

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: DocBook question
From: "Kristin E Thomas" ####@####.####
Date: 7 May 2001 18:18:55 -0000

Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to set up a DocBook book, and I'm having a few problems.  I want
to have one book file that has an entity declaration for each chapter file,
so I can keep the chapters as separate file.  I've been trying to find an
example of how to do this, but the book example in the LDP Author Guide
seems to be missing.  I have several of the chapter files set up already,
but I can't figure out the right way to declare those entities in my main
book file.  I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,
Kristin

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Kristin Thomas
Linux Information Development
Linux Technology Center
Ph. (512) 838-4546
T/L 678-4546
Bldg. 908 1D002

Subject: Re: DocBook question
From: Mark Komarinski ####@####.####
Date: 7 May 2001 18:27:46 -0000

Kristin,

Use the source...:) The LAG itself is built around this, and I'm
using this feature elsewhere.

Here's the quick idea.  This *should* be the same if you're using XML or SGML.

1)  Set ENTITY declarations in the main file:

<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC '-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN' [
<!ENTITY chap1 SYSTEM "chap1.xml">
<!ENTITY chap2 SYSTEM "chap2.xml">
<!ENTITY chap3 SYSTEM "chap3.xml">
]>

2)  In the main file, include references to the entities you've created:

<book id="foo">
[author stuff]
[revision stuff]
&chap1;
&chap2;
&chap3;
</book>

3)  In each chap?.xml file, write it as if it were a chapter:

<chapter id="chapter1">
<title>foo</title>
<para>
</para>
</chapter>

...And that's it.

-Mark

--
Mark Komarinski - Senior Systems Engineer - VA Linux Systems
(cell)  978-697-2228

From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 24 Feb 2005 11:46:17 -0000