discuss: Thread: Translations

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Translations
From: ####@####.####
Date: 9 Feb 2001 13:48:10 -0000

Hello,

I don´t knwon if this is the correct place, but...

Please, can you give us some help? We are interested in traslating LDP
document in our
native language (basque). Is there any coordination list? We don´t have to
make duplicate
efforts. Sorry for my bad speaking.

Luis Calderon

Subject: Re: Translations
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 9 Feb 2001 16:16:19 -0000

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 02:53:40PM +0100, ####@####.#### wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I don´t knwon if this is the correct place, but...
>
> Please, can you give us some help? We are interested in traslating LDP
> document in our
> native language (basque). Is there any coordination list? We don´t have to
> make duplicate
> efforts. Sorry for my bad speaking.
>
> Luis Calderon

I don't know of any work in progress, but of course we will be very
happy to see you succeed.

You can find a list of the translation efforts we know to be currently
in operation at http://www.linuxdoc.org/vlist.html#te and also see
http://www.linuxdoc.org/links/nenglish.html for links to all their
homepages.

If you tell us who "we" is, and your URL (do you have one yet?), we
will post your information on that page. That might help you attract
other people.

Would you like help coordinating your list, or finding a place to host
it? Would you like help in publicizing the effort?

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####
                                       Finger me for my public key

I needed the good will of the legislature of four states.  I formed the
legislative bodies with my own money.  I found that it was cheaper that way.
		-- Jay Gould
From: "Yves Bellefeuille" ####@####.####
Date: 10 Feb 2001 08:54:33 -0000

Luis Calderon ####@####.#### wrote:

> Please, can you give us some help? We are interested in traslating
> LDP document in our native language (basque). Is there any
> coordination list? We don´t have to make duplicate efforts. Sorry for
> my bad speaking.

Most translation efforts seem to work this way:

1) You collect a team of persons who are willing to translate.

2) You contact the authors of the documents you wish to translate to ask
them permission. Usually the authors are happy to accept, but it's nice
to ask first. ;-)

3) You ask someone on your team to translate each document.

4) You send each translation to the Linux Documentation Project
coordinator.

For my part, I'd be honoured to have my Mini How-To translated to
Basque! :-)

--
Yves Bellefeuille ####@####.#### | Were diu werlt alle min
Ottawa, Canada                   | von deme mere unze an den Rin,
From: "Imran Ghory" ####@####.####
Date: 18 Sep 2001 22:00:52 -0000

Earlier today I recieved two requests, both from people interested in
translating my HOWTO to other languages. The first wanted to
translate into Portuguese the second into Turkish.

Is there any standard procedure for translating HOWTOs' and
making them available ?

Are there any URL's which I can point these people to with
information about translating howtos ?

Imran
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 18 Sep 2001 22:35:53 -0000

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 11:00:26PM +0100, Imran Ghory wrote:
> Earlier today I recieved two requests, both from people interested in
> translating my HOWTO to other languages. The first wanted to
> translate into Portuguese the second into Turkish.
>
> Is there any standard procedure for translating HOWTOs' and
> making them available ?
>
> Are there any URL's which I can point these people to with
> information about translating howtos ?

We have a list of translation efforts. There's a link on our home
page. If there is no project you can always start one of your own.

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####