discuss: Thread: Converting from M$ Word...

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Converting from M$ Word...
From: ####@####.####
Date: 11 Apr 2001 18:44:51 -0000

Hi,

I'm in the final stages of finishing the text of the Sybase Adaptive Server
Anywhere for Linux HOWTO. I've been working on the text in Word (at the
request of my superiors), being careful to keep a structure, but the time
has come for my prose to ascend to SGML, or XML. I'm only here until the
end of the month, however, so I need to do it quickly!

My question is, what method do you recommend?

I have both a Linux machine and an NT machine at my disposal, as well as
Frame+SGML. I don't have much experience with many of the tools (a bit of
emacs, not much vi/vim), but I can work well with a text editor and markup
if need be. One thing I was thinking about was StarOffice, since I
understand it's XML-based. Or should I just take advantage of the fact that
FM+SGML is right here in front of me? Or is someone willing to pick it up
from Word format and convert it for me? ; )

Thanks,
Aylwin.

Subject: Re: Converting from M$ Word...
From: Poet/Joshua Drake ####@####.####
Date: 11 Apr 2001 18:50:04 -0000

Hello,

Send me the html format, I will run it through our DocParser. It will
convert it to valid DocBook. Once that is done you just have to go through
the little things like formatting.

<COMPANY>CommandPrompt	- http://www.commandprompt.com	</COMPANY>
<PROJECT>OpenDocs, LLC.	- http://www.opendocs.org	</PROJECT>
<PROJECT>LinuxPorts 	- http://www.linuxports.com     </PROJECT>
<WEBMASTER>LDP		- http://www.linuxdoc.org	</WEBMASTER>
--
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"
start asking why software is ignoring 30 years of accumulated wisdom.

From: Poet/Joshua Drake ####@####.####
Date: 11 Apr 2001 19:17:50 -0000

>DocParser?  That's what I get for not paying attention for too many
>weeks.  Do you have a new partial HTML->DocBook converter?

There is nothing partial about it :) It will covert HTML to valid DocBook.
The only major thing it has problems with is certain formattin issues.
Like going from <pre> to <screen> or <programlisting>

Joshua Drake

From: Gary Lawrence Murphy ####@####.####
Date: 11 Apr 2001 19:40:52 -0000

Cool!  Where can I get a copy of the DocParser? (I've been waiting
hundreds of years for this!)

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy ####@####.#### TeleDynamics Communications Inc

From: Poet/Joshua Drake ####@####.####
Date: 11 Apr 2001 20:48:01 -0000

Hello,

It is not yet released. We use it internally and have used it to convert
some of the HOWTOs. DocParser does a better job translating HTML to
DocBook than the LinuxDoc to DocBook thing does.

It is to be commercially released next week and will be available on a
subscription based model of some sort. It will not be expensive but we
gotta pay the bills :)