discuss: Thread: new HOWTO

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: new HOWTO
From: Andrew ####@####.####
Date: 1 Feb 2001 22:18:01 -0000

Greetings,

I've written a new howto that you may be interested in. Here's the TOC.

Linux 2.4 Redundant Internet Connection HOWTO
Contents:

1.       Introduction
         1.1    Disclaimer & license
         1.2    Prior knowledge
         1.3    Required software
2.       Miscellany
         2.1    Topologies
         2.2    Kernel packet flow
3.       Getting started
         3.1    Router box preparation
         3.2    Building & installing a proper kernel
         3.3    Network subsystem configuration
         3.4    Rules and routes-single router
         3.5    Rules and routes-two routers
         3.6    DNS wizardry
         3.7    WARNING
4.       Testing
         4.1    Single router instructions
         4.2    Dual router instructions
5.       Acknowledgements
6.       Appendix A - scripts for single router example
7.       Appendix B - scripts for dual router example

is there any interest in putting it up on the LDP? Let me know

-Andrew

--
Want answers to life's big questions? Visit www.bibleinfo.com.
From: Jonathan Fanti ####@####.####
Date: 27 Feb 2001 10:55:33 -0000

Hi,

First, I hope this is the correct list for such a request. There doesn't
seem to be a list specifically for requesting to produce a new HOWTO.
I would like to produce a howto on reiserfs - if it isn't allready
underway that is! What I would like to cover is:

1. Converting an install from ext2 to reiser

and

2. Doing a fresh install using reiser

If this howto is allready underway, I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks,

Jonathan Fanti

=====================
Systems Administrator - UBC Media Group

Subject: Re: New howto
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 27 Feb 2001 13:53:39 -0000

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 10:48:40AM +0000, Jonathan Fanti wrote:
> Hi,

Hi!

> First, I hope this is the correct list for such a request. There doesn't
> seem to be a list specifically for requesting to produce a new HOWTO.
> I would like to produce a howto on reiserfs - if it isn't allready
> underway that is! What I would like to cover is:

This is the correct list. FYI, we maintain a list of docs in progress
at http://www.linuxdoc.org/authors/inprogress.html and nobody is
working on a reiserfs HOWTO afaik.

Looking forward to seeing your document.

Regards,

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####
                                       Finger me for my public key

theory, n.:
	System of ideas meant to explain something, chosen with a view to
	originality, controversialism, incomprehensibility, and how good
	it will look in print.
From: Jean-Daniel Dodin ####@####.####
Date: 27 Feb 2001 18:19:30 -0000

Le mar, 27 f�2001, Jonathan Fanti a �it :
> Hi,
>
> First, I hope this is the correct list for such a request. There doesn't
> seem to be a list specifically for requesting to produce a new HOWTO.
> I would like to produce a howto on reiserfs - if it isn't allready
> underway that is! What I would like to cover is:

this is certainly of great interest. I use reiserfs from 6 month now (from
SuSE 6.4 then 7.0) and love it.

However I know little about the usefullness of the tools. also I use to
keep the /boot partition on ext2 giving that booting on reiser can cause
problems.

It could be also usefull to keep a list of inherent problems, like
impossible access from windows (no reiser explorer like ext2 explorer -
this can also be a good thing), Vmware not able to shrink a reiser
partition...

I would like to help, fe reviewing the HOWTO.

jdd

--
<http://www.dodin.net> ####@####.####
QUI EST CET HOMME ? Aidez-moi �e retrouver

From: "mangoo" ####@####.####
Date: 3 May 2001 14:01:15 -0000

Hello,

I'm writing a new HOWTO that deals with bandwidth limiting (both incoming
and outgoing).

Frankly speaking, it's nearly written, I can send a draft if somebody wants
it.

My e-mail address is ####@####.#### but for discussions here I will use
####@####.####

Regards,

Tomasz Chmielewski
####@####.####

From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 7 May 2001 05:51:26 -0000

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 03:56:52PM +0200, mangoo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm writing a new HOWTO that deals with bandwidth limiting (both incoming
> and outgoing).

Cool. I could use that myself.

> Frankly speaking, it's nearly written, I can send a draft if somebody wants
> it.

Please send your draft to ####@####.#### and I'll try to
have someone look at it. That goes for all other authors as well.

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####
                                       Finger me for my public key

Mac Airways:
The cashiers, flight attendants and pilots all look the same, feel the same
and act the same. When asked questions about the flight, they reply that you
don't want to know, don't need to know and would you please return to your
seat and watch the movie.
From: "Michael Junek" ####@####.####
Date: 4 Nov 2001 03:05:34 -0000

Hi,

In the past few months, I have had to put together many small Linux servers
for small businesses & home networks. After sifting through much of the
documentation and many hours of practise, I have come up with a few methods
and solutions for doing so. I am up for writing some documentation to other
users of linux that may be in similar situations as me. What I had in mind
pulls together samba, ipchains, ppp, httpd, ftp, dns, dhcp, LPD printing and
ip masquerading.
If you feel that it is worthwhile me writing this seperate document that
brings everything together, than I am quite willing to do so.
Let me know what you are thinking :-)

Thanks In advance,
Michael Junek

--------------------------
Michael Junek

####@####.####
####@####.####

From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 4 Nov 2001 03:53:46 -0000

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 02:05:38PM +1100, Michael Junek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the past few months, I have had to put together many small Linux servers
> for small businesses & home networks. After sifting through much of the
> documentation and many hours of practise, I have come up with a few methods
> and solutions for doing so. I am up for writing some documentation to other
> users of linux that may be in similar situations as me. What I had in mind
> pulls together samba, ipchains, ppp, httpd, ftp, dns, dhcp, LPD printing and
> ip masquerading.
> If you feel that it is worthwhile me writing this seperate document that
> brings everything together, than I am quite willing to do so.
> Let me know what you are thinking :-)

Of course we always welcome good documentation. However, we already
have documentation on most of those subjects. Could you help improve
those documents instead of writing new ones?

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

The only thing wrong with Microsoft is that they have no taste.
	--Steve Jobs, Interim Apple Computer CEO
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 4 Nov 2001 11:10:00 -0000

Le Dimanche  4 Novembre 2001 04:51, David Merrill a écrit :

> > as me. What I had in mind pulls together samba, ipchains, ppp, httpd,
> > ftp, dns, dhcp, LPD printing and ip masquerading.

> Of course we always welcome good documentation. However, we already
> have documentation on most of those subjects. Could you help improve
> those documents instead of writing new ones?

dedocated HOWTO are often too complex for current use, a practical summary
would be of interest for me.

jdd

--
<http://www.dodin.net> ####@####.####
WHO'S THAT GUY ? Help me found it

From: Randy Kramer ####@####.####
Date: 4 Nov 2001 12:19:08 -0000

jdd wrote:
> Le Dimanche  4 Novembre 2001 04:51, David Merrill a écrit :
> > On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 02:05:38PM +1100, Michael Junek wrote:

> > > as me. What I had in mind pulls together samba, ipchains, ppp, httpd,
> > > ftp, dns, dhcp, LPD printing and ip masquerading.

> > Of course we always welcome good documentation. However, we already
> > have documentation on most of those subjects. Could you help improve
> > those documents instead of writing new ones?

> dedocated HOWTO are often too complex for current use, a practical summary
> would be of interest for me.

Me, too!

And:

1. It would be nice if it addressed setting up the server (network) with
and without dhcp, and with and without dns (if possible).

Randy Kramer