discuss: Thread: (Fwd) unmaintained doc? (hardware howto)

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: (Fwd) unmaintained doc? (hardware howto)
From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 8 Mar 2001 22:09:24 -0000

Any comments for Steve? I think this topic/HOWTO was discussed
a while ago(?).

--- Forwarded mail from Steven Pritchard ####@####.####

From: Steven Pritchard ####@####.####
Subject: unmaintained doc? (hardware howto)
To: ####@####.####
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 13:29:02 -0600 (CST)

I just noticed yesterday that the Hardware HOWTO hasn't been updated
in about a year and a half.  It is *badly* out of date.  (As an
example, the first line is "NOTE: USB is not yet supported by Linux.")

I emailed Patrick Reijnen (the maintainer listed in the current
version of the document) yesterday.  So far I have not received a
response.

If he is unavailable, I'd like to take over maintenance of this
document.

Steve
--
####@####.####           | Southern Illinois Linux Users Group
(618)398-7320             | See web site for meeting details.

---End of forwarded mail from Steven Pritchard ####@####.####
Subject: Re: (Fwd) unmaintained doc? (hardware howto)
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 8 Mar 2001 22:34:31 -0000

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 05:03:46PM -0500, Greg Ferguson wrote:
> Any comments for Steve? I think this topic/HOWTO was discussed
> a while ago(?).

whois doesn't recognize the domain, so I Googled for his name and
found his new home page and his new email address. You didn't say
whether you had done this or had used his old email.

I'm cc'ing him on this email.

Yes, the HOWTO does need to be updated, although in this case it might
be worthwhile to rename it to Linux 2.? Hardware HOWTO and maintain it
as a resource for folks running older kernels, and produce a new
version for newer kernels. We would have to determine which version of
the kernel, which version of X, etc. he documented.

Patrick, can we hear from you, please? The document needs to be
updated and we have a volunteer to do it. What do you think? You won't
be able to post to ####@####.#### but reply to me and I'll
forward it to the list.

If we don't hear from Patrick then yes, you may take over the
maintainership as it will be considered unmaintained. Luckily, it is
GPL so we don't have license issues.

> --- Forwarded mail from Steven Pritchard ####@####.####
>
> From: Steven Pritchard ####@####.####
> Subject: unmaintained doc? (hardware howto)
> To: ####@####.####
> Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 13:29:02 -0600 (CST)
>
> I just noticed yesterday that the Hardware HOWTO hasn't been updated
> in about a year and a half.  It is *badly* out of date.  (As an
> example, the first line is "NOTE: USB is not yet supported by Linux.")
>
> I emailed Patrick Reijnen (the maintainer listed in the current
> version of the document) yesterday.  So far I have not received a
> response.
>
> If he is unavailable, I'd like to take over maintenance of this
> document.
>
> Steve
> --
> ####@####.####           | Southern Illinois Linux Users Group
> (618)398-7320             | See web site for meeting details.
> Steven Pritchard          | http://www.silug.org/
>
> ---End of forwarded mail from Steven Pritchard ####@####.####
>
> _________________________
> http://list.linuxdoc.org/

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####
                                       Finger me for my public key

It is enough to make one sympathize with a tyrant for the determination
of his courtiers to deceive him for their own personal ends...
		-- Russell Baker and Charles Peters
From: Steven Pritchard ####@####.####
Date: 9 Mar 2001 01:16:07 -0000

David Merrill said:
> whois doesn't recognize the domain, so I Googled for his name and
> found his new home page and his new email address. You didn't say
> whether you had done this or had used his old email.

I emailed ####@####.#### which is the address listed
in the HOWTO.

Note that this was just yesterday, so I was probably a little hasty
emailing feedback about this...  I just hate to see what was once a
rather often-used document stay out of date for any longer than
necessary...

Steve