discuss: Thread: volunteering for LDP

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: volunteering for LDP
From: "Kristin E Thomas" ####@####.####
Date: 23 Feb 2001 19:30:15 -0000

Hi Everyone,
I'd like to get more information about several of the items I've seen on
the LDP's lists.  I'm interested in the "Indexing HOWTO" that's on the
Suggestion List and index.html file for the subdirectories that's on the To
Do List.  I'd appreciate any information anyone can give me.

Thanks,
Kristin

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Kristin Thomas
Linux Information Development
Linux Technology Center
Ph. (512) 838-4546
T/L 678-4546
Bldg. 903 7B18

Subject: Re: volunteering for LDP
From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 23 Feb 2001 19:55:51 -0000

On Feb 23,  1:30pm, Kristin E Thomas wrote:
> Subject: volunteering for LDP
> Hi Everyone,
> I'd like to get more information about several of the items I've seen on
> the LDP's lists.  I'm interested in the "Indexing HOWTO" that's on the
> Suggestion List and index.html file for the subdirectories that's on
> the To Do List.  I'd appreciate any information anyone can give me.

For the TO DO list, that item corresponds to the browseable
hiearchy/filesystem accessible thru:

  http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/ {HOWTO, linux-doc-project, etc.}

Create an index.html file for each level is what that points to.
I don't think it's a high priority item; others may feel differently.

---

The "Indexing HOWTO" is probably something that should be added
to the LDP Author Guide (as my comment indicates). Should talk
about style/conventions for facilitating retrieval (ie...what
tags/fields/data to use within a document...). This would tie
into how OMF searching works. Describe how to properly tag
one's SGML document to easily facilitate the creation of a valid
(effective) OMF(*) XML record; and perhaps tie in a discussion of
scrollkeeper(+) . At least that would be one such approach to
covering the item.

--
Ferg

(*) OMF - http://www.ibiblio.org/osrt/omf/
(+) scrollkeeper - http://sourceforge.net/projects/scrollkeeper/
From: "Kristin E Thomas" ####@####.####
Date: 26 Feb 2001 21:48:28 -0000

On Feb 23,  1:30pm, Kristin E Thomas wrote:
> Subject: volunteering for LDP
> Hi Everyone,
> I'd like to get more information about several of the items I've seen on
> the LDP's lists.  I'm interested in the "Indexing HOWTO" that's on the
> Suggestion List and index.html file for the subdirectories that's on
> the To Do List.  I'd appreciate any information anyone can give me.

     >For the TO DO list, that item corresponds to the browseable
     >hiearchy/filesystem accessible thru:

     >http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/ {HOWTO, linux-doc-project,
etc.}

     >Create an index.html file for each level is what that points to.
     >I don't think it's a high priority item; others may feel differently.

I completely misinterpreted this item when I saw it on the "To Do" list.  I
thought the item was requesting an index for each category of document on
the LDP (Guides, HOWTOs, FAQs, and man pages).  I noticed that currently
some of the indexes look different and contain different things (for
example, some have annotations and others don't), and I thought it might be
helpful to make them consistent.  I also considered adding a topical index
that includes all the different types of documentation, so users could
easily see what kinds of docs were available on a certain topic.  While
this isn't really what the item on the list was talking about, I still
think it could be helpful.  Is there any interest in my creating this kind
of index?

Thanks,
Kristin

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Kristin Thomas
Linux Information Development
Linux Technology Center
Ph. (512) 838-4546
T/L 678-4546
Bldg. 908 1D002

From: "Kristin E Thomas" ####@####.####
Date: 12 Mar 2001 22:56:30 -0000

> On Feb 23,  1:30pm, Kristin E Thomas wrote:
> > Subject: volunteering for LDP
> > Hi Everyone,
> > I'd like to get more information about several of the items I've seen
on
> > the LDP's lists.  I'm interested in the "Indexing HOWTO" that's on the
> > Suggestion List and index.html file for the subdirectories that's on
> > the To Do List.  I'd appreciate any information anyone can give me.

  >Indexing was started by Redhat when they wanted to make a new issue
  >of the printed HOWTOs with a proper index. Someone added the tags
  >and indexing and then returned the documents to the authors asking we
  >continued the same pattern. And that was all.

  >To me that is not really enough. First of all I would like to know more
  >on HOWTO the indexing works rather than adding things like
  >  <nidx>disk!disktypes!ata</nidx>
  >and also how to add the generated index to the document. I guess
  >it is something like <toc> to add table of contents but I do not
  >know.

If I understand what people have been telling me correctly, an explanation
of how the index function actually works doesn't really belong in the LAG.
I could be wrong, but it looks like that just contains information on how
to do things, not how they work.

>Some more definite guidelines on indexing would be nice too.

What do you mean by guidelines?  I'd be happy to add more information, but
I'm not really sure what to add.