discuss: Thread: New HOWTO: Compression

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: New HOWTO: Compression
From: "Travis Johnson" ####@####.####
Date: 6 Jan 2001 20:55:50 -0000

Linuxdoc Discuss Readers:

   My name is Travis Johnson. I am currently in 8th grade and have been
working with Linux for over 2 years. This year for a science fair project, I
am doing a project on compression. The testing will be done on uncompressed
source code tarfiles with GNU gzip and bzip2. It will cover:

     - The amount of time the compression takes
     - The file size of the compressed file
     - The compression ratio
     - The (kilo)bytes per second

   I would also like to make a HOWTO containing the above, with the addition
of a section about obtaining, compiling, and using bzip2 and GNU gzip. I
would appreciate to be informed of any other topics I should cover.

   Travis Johnson

Subject: Re: New HOWTO: Compression
From: Poet/Joshua Drake ####@####.####
Date: 6 Jan 2001 21:49:04 -0000

Hello,

This is excellent. Just for comparison sake I would suggest adding old
fashion compress to the mix and maybe zip? Yes zip runs on Linux.

You may want to discuss the advantages to each. For example, Bzip2 is
great for large files, but is generally slower than gzip.

<COMPANY>CommandPrompt	- http://www.commandprompt.com	</COMPANY>
<PROJECT>OpenDocs, LLC.	- http://www.opendocs.org	</PROJECT>
<PROJECT>LinuxPorts 	- http://www.linuxports.com     </PROJECT>
<WEBMASTER>LDP		- http://www.linuxdoc.org	</WEBMASTER>
--
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"
start asking why software is ignoring 30 years of accumulated wisdom.