discuss: Modifiability of documentation and software

Subject: Re: Modifiability of documentation and software
From: "M. Leo Cooper" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Feb 2005 04:23:24 -0000

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, David Lawyer wrote:

> I think that as a compromise, we might require that a doc must be modifiable in
> the case that the author can't be located.  If an author changes his
> email, then a revised doc with the new email should be submitted.

That's a reasonable compromise. . . .

One additional argument against a license that permits *anyone* to
modify your document is that it could be "hijacked" by the wrong people
-- Microsoft, for example.  This was brought home to me when, about a
year and a half ago, I discovered obsolete versions of two of my LDP
howtos on an SCO Group* server. And these documents had a Caldera-branded
navigation bar. Well, I repeatedly emailed SCOG, notifying them that
they had modified my documents in an unacceptable way. They did finally
remove the offensive navigation bar. I wish they had removed the entire
documents, but I couldn't legally force them to do so. At least, though,
I had a little bit of leverage.

   * For anyone not aware of what the SCO Group has been doing, they're
   suing IBM and trying to kill Linux and the Open Source movement.

Mendel