discuss: Re: LDP site and XML

Subject: Re: LDP site and XML
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 7 May 2001 05:47:33 -0000

On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 07:06:52PM +0200, Nicolas Chauvat wrote:
> Guys,
>
> After I spoke with you I sent you a tarball containing examples of how
> could XML+XSLT help maintain the LDP web site and generate some HTML, XML
> and RSS files.
>
> You'll find attached a new tarball that contains a python script that
> turns David Merrill's database dump and Greg Ferguson's
> linuxdoc.org/howto.d/sorted_howtos.gz into XML, then generate RSS or HTML
> files (the HTML one is pretty ugly). Read the HELP file first and be
> indulgent as this is a first cut.
>
> Please let's discuss this and see how we could set-up an XML back-end to
> linuxdoc.org. Providing data such as table dumps and sorted_howtos.gz is
> good, but you have to parse each new file "by hand". XML and related tools
> were designed exactly for that kind of data exchange, so let's not waste
> too much time doing it "the good old way", as the new way is nicer (for
> once).

What exactly are you trying to do with the xml you generate? When you
say "XML back-end" what do you mean? I need to hear more specifics
before I can have an intelligent conversation on the subject.

With whom, for example, are you contemplating the data exchange? How
will the rss be used and by whom?

FWIW the text dump I gave you was so you have an understanding of the
schema and the data in it. It is no long term solution. You probably
want to write a script to go directly against the database, which I
can then include on my site. You should be able to run the scripts I
sent you to create the schema on your local pg, then load the data
from the .txt files, and go from there. I'll try to answer questions
but cannot help otherwise.

We have a policy of no dynamic pages on linuxdoc, because they can't
be mirrored easily. I run the dynamic stuff on my machine.

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####
                                       Finger me for my public key

The only difference between a car salesman and a computer salesman is
that the car salesman knows he's lying.