discuss: Booting from a USB disk HOWTO

Subject: Re: Booting from a USB disk HOWTO
From: jing ####@####.####
Date: 2 Feb 2004 09:25:52 -0000

Hi, David and Pedro,

I appreciate your comments!

I'd appreciate if someone could provide a list of
Bioses that can boot USB keys so that I can put them
in the document. I think that any USB keys could be
configured as bootable as long as the bios is
supporting booting from USB.

One thing I need to point out is that the version of
document which you've commented on is a little bit out
of date. The following are the most up to date ones
(they're the same):
http://www.freewebs.com/tsj/bootingUSB_ldp_v0.1.htm
http://www.tangshanjing.0catch.com/bootingUSB_ldp_v0.1.htm

In case the BIOS does not support booting from USB, in
the revised document above I've stated that the USB
keys could work as the root file system (based on
Charles Curley's comment). In that case the USB key
plus a bootable floppy could still work as a whole
Linux OS.

 --- "Pedro M." ####@####.#### wrote:> David

.----------------------------------------------------------------------------.

> > |  David A. Ranch - Linux/Networking/PC hardware
>
> > ####@####.####  |
> > !----
>
> > ----!
> > `----- For more detailed info, see
> http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch
> > -----'

> > http://lists.tldp.org/
> >

> One could add some examples of bioses and USB that
> can boot Linux:
>

> - Bioses that can boot USB keys
> - USB keys that can boot Linux.
>
> This would be for an initial phase.