discuss: man pages

Subject: Re: man pages
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 8 Jan 2004 06:58:18 -0000

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 09:34:29PM +1030, Glen Turner wrote:

> The quality of the man pages is a typical Linux distribution
> makes me despair for the sanity of users.
>
> There are commands without man pages, there are command
> options which are unexplained, there are descriptions
> so detailed as to boggle the mind but no example of
> the most common usages.
>
> Is there a project which is working on this?

LDP once intended to work on problems like this, but unfortunately an
effort in this direction a few years ago didn't result in any changes
since the leader left the project.  The problem is that of integrating
all the various Linux documentation.  Right now LDP has more than enough
to do to attempt to keep HOWTOs up-to-date.  Unless you want to again
undertake this project.

> If not, is there are list of best practices for man pages?
>
> Glen
> (trying hard not to volunteer a lifetime's work,
>  but getting a nasty feeling that it may be
>  inevitable)
It is truly a lifetime project.