discuss: Oracle-9i-RH8-HOWTO

Subject: Re: Oracle-9i-RH8-HOWTO
From: Fernando Boaglio ####@####.####
Date: 11 Mar 2003 11:20:12 -0000

> (That's a quote from
> http://otn.oracle.com/tech/linux/htdocs/linux_techsupp_faq.html)
>
> I think that anyone spending £10K+ on software licences is likely to
> want the option of having support. Given that, no-one who is serious
> about using Oracle on Linux is likely to use anything else.

I agree, if you are going to install in a Production environment you
have to follow Oracle rules, you have to use RedHat or SuSE and
you can't even recompile your kernel (since Oracle 9i Release2)
anymore otherwise you will lose the official Support .

BUT I'm not worried about these people, they have money, they
can afford some consultant hours. I'm worried about people
who want to learn Oracle by installing in their own computers.
They just want to test the product or learn something, they are
not worried about having official Support.
There are some small companies which use other distro and
don't want to change it because they can afford only the
product and not the Support (which is very expensive).

I have been using Oracle in my slackware box since release 7.3
(which was a SCO Release, I had to use ibcs2 - the first Linux
Release was 8.0.5) and my opinion is Oracle is taking the easy
way not supporting the most common distros, making the job
of their Support easier. That doesn't mean Oracle won't work
in others distros and it doesn't mean you have to change your
distro to use their product either.

Since I'm able to write such a document, I think I should write
a separate HowTo (just like the other one) called Oracle+Slackware-HOWTO
and this document should be mentioned in the official Oracle-Howto.

Let me hear your thoughts on that...

--
Fernando Boaglio - Oracle/Java Consultant  -  LinuxRegUser#113728
                   [ http://www.oracle.matrix.com.br  ]