discuss: book vs article

Subject: Re: book vs article
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 12 Mar 2001 17:21:47 -0000

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 09:07:05AM -0800, Poet/Joshua Drake wrote:
> >I just ran across a HOWTO written as a <book>. I don't recall us ever
> >discussing this, and don't see anything in the archive, but shouldn't
> >we keep all our HOWTOs in the <article> type, and use <book> for the
>
> I don't think so. Book provides much more functionality and many of our
> HOWTOs are very large. The IP-MASQ for example is 200 pages. The PPP over
> a 100 and the Networking is over a 100 as well.
>
> Those are pretty big freaking articles ;). Not to mention my
> Consultants-HOWTO which is over 1500 pages.

Yeah, I know. I used the Consultants-HOWTO to stress test my SGML
processor.

Since afaik size is the determining factor for whether a document is
classified as a Guide or a HOWTO, perhaps those HOWTOs should be
reclassified as guides, and the article=HOWTO, book=guide distinction
then makes perfect sense.

Of course it isn't purely a raw size issue; complexity matters, too.
The Consultants HOWTO, for example, is a very large document but not a
very complex one.

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####
                                       Finger me for my public key

As of next week, passwords will be entered in Morse code.