discuss: Linuxdoc VS Docbook SGML/XML

Subject: Re: Linuxdoc VS Docbook SGML/XML
From: David Lloyd ####@####.####
Date: 22 Mar 2002 03:14:28 -0000

Tabatha

> I've read that all of these formats are acceptable, but I'm wondering, are
> there instances where linuxdoc is preferred over Docbook for certain
> documents?

There are benefits to all types of documentation tools including
DocBook, LinuxDoc, LaTeX and TeX. At the LDP this discussion usually
degenerates into a religious ware -- I think that the only reason the
LDP accepts LinuxDoc, DocBook SGML and DocBook XML is simply because
no-one has taken the heroic step of saying "X" only.

> I am finally comfortable with using all 3 dtds, and it was the most
> excruciating task... I find the tag differences sometimes frustrating
> though.  I guess the idea behind the linuxdoc dtd is that it is easy since
> it is a system dtd, whereas the others aren't.  So is linuxdoc still used
> for that reason?

My advice to would-be authors would be to not worry too much about the
markup; if you're using structured markup such as DocBook then use its
structure to help your outlines. I'd much prefer to have someone
re-render a good HOWTO from text to DocBook XML than to have someone
right a poor HOWTO in that DTD...

DSL

--
Praise belongs to God, the Lord of all Being,
  the All Merciful, the All Compassionate