discuss: A Question regarding terminals

Subject: A Question regarding terminals
From: "Padala, Pradeep" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Mar 2001 17:50:59 -0000

Hi David,
	I was reading your Text-Terminal-HOWTO. I have few questions.

1.In most of the manuals and articles people say use echo ^[[5;32;42m and
get some color etc.. In your HOWTO you mentioned that different terminals
take different esc codes. So how is it generic?. Is it because most of the
terminals take the same code or because we always use vt100 emulation on a
monitor with PC. I want to know whether most of the codes are same for
terminals or not. What I mean is Do any two different terminals manufactured
by different people have same esc codes? If yes? is there any standard?
2.How are these escape codes designed? what does the 'm' at the end of code
signify? Is it an abbreviation for some thing?
3.when a mouse is used in a terminal does any escape sequences are generated
or not? If not, how does the mouse work in xterm?
4.What does a terminal driver do exactly? Are the esc sequences generated by
terminal driver?

I know bits and pieces of things about these. Can u explain and make some
things clear?
Any one else who knows about these things, please point me in right
direction..

Thank You,
Pradeep.

----