discuss: Stale Docs (was: My obsolete HOWTOs being sold as a book)

Subject: Re: Stale Docs (was: My obsolete HOWTOs being sold as a book)
From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 1 Mar 2001 15:56:39 -0000

On Mar 1,  9:49am, Patrick K. O'Brien wrote:
> Subject: Stale Docs (was: My obsolete HOWTOs being sold as a book)
> Imagine going to a library to find a book and having to know in advance
> whether it was a big book or a little book, whether it was hardcover or
> softcover, whether it had pictures or was all text. Those are all useful
> attributes about a book but shouldn't dictate how I go about *finding*
> the darn thing. Subject, author, title - those are the primary
> attributes. Why doesn't the LDP have navigation based on subject,
> author and title?

We're hoping the OMF search capability solves that problem (once
all docs are properly classified within their system).  No sense
re-inventing the wheel:

  http://www.ibiblio.org/osrt/omf/#search

In fact, at some point I'd like to see this become the primary
search for the LDP, rather than my wais-based hack.

The time and effort to catalog *all* the LDP docs within the OMF
framework would be time well spent, imo. I originally submitted
a slew of XML data records to be used in the system, but at this
point many are out of date.

r,

--
Greg Ferguson     - engr / mtlhd / enemyofthemusicbusiness(.com - ND)
SGI Tech Pubs     - http://techpubs.sgi.com/ | gferg (at) sgi.com