discuss: My obsolete HOWTOs being sold as a book

Subject: Re: My obsolete HOWTOs being sold as a book
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 18 Feb 2001 02:47:46 -0000

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 12:58:23PM -0800, David Lawyer wrote:
> I wrote this on Sun Feb  4 22:17:11 2001 but due to my email
> configuration it was bounced:
>
> I recently found out that I'm a joint author of a book published in
> Jan. 1999 that is still being sold.  It's called "Linux Modem and
> Serial Communications".  The howtos it's based on are very obsolete
> and people that buy such a book are being cheated.
>
> Thus I now wish that I had not permitted free copying in my license.
> Except that LDP requires that a license must permit free copying.
> Also, most non-LDP mirror sites have stale versions of my howtos.
> While it's wrong to give away stale versions, it's even worse to sell
> stale versions and I think that a prohibition of this should be
> permitted in a free license.

How would you word it? I want to avoid the problem of an author
abandoning a document and it having to die, but I do see your point.
Can you propose a wording that does both things?

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####
                                       Finger me for my public key

Reception area, n.:
	The purgatory where office visitors are condemned to spend
	innumerable hours reading dog-eared back issues of trade
	magazines like Modern Plastics, Chain Saw Age, and Chicken World,
	while the receptionist blithely reads her own trade magazine --
	Cosmopolitan.