discuss: Linux User Group HOWTO revision 1.8.8 available

Subject: Linux User Group HOWTO revision 1.8.8 available
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 19 Jul 2022 01:52:35 +0100

Greetings, Serge Victor and any/all other TLDP volunteers.

TLDP shows v1.8.4 of the Linux User Group HOwTO, submitted by me on
2013-07-25, nine years ago.

TLDP declined to merge my next three submissions, several through Feb.
2019.  Finally when I inquired about _why_, Serge stated that he had
established new[-ish] policy that all submissions must now be routed via
GitHub.

I have no problem with Serge's preference in workflow, except that (as I
said three years ago), I myself politely decline to agree to GitHub,
Inc. / Microsoft's terms of service merely to submit copyleft-licensed
documentation to TLDP.  Therefore, I suggested that Serge or any other
person so inclined import my revised SGML into GitHub.  In the spirit of
copyleft and open source, you're welcome!

I see that didn't happen:  Your archive remains stuck at the obsolete
2013 revision.

Anyway, I've released v1.8.8 today, and anyone may have a copy under CC
SA 4.0, from http://linuxmafia.com/lug/User-Group-HOWTO.sgml  .
Single-page and multipage generated HTML are in the same directory.

Share and enjoy!

As a point of information, TLDP's process documentation for HOWTO
authors continues to say authors should use TLDP's older methods of
submission.  E.g., the TLDP front page directs authors to
https://wiki.tldp.org/AuthorsPage , which says "Once the document is
written, send the news to the discuss list, send the document to submit
list, or a link to the wiki page and the LDP will do the rest..."  The
LDP Author Guide says to make the HOWTO available for a Review
Coordinator.  So far, nothing on the Web site specifies GitHub.