discuss: Re: Video Streaming to TV, Casting to TV, Play Movie HOWTO

Subject: Re: Video Streaming to TV, Casting to TV, Play Movie HOWTO
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 12 Feb 2019 02:25:49 +0000

Quoting Serge Victor ####@####.#### replying to a different HOWTO
author:

> Hi, would it be possible that you add the howto directly to our GIT
> repository at
>
> https://github.com/tLDP/LDP
>
> as a Pull Request?

You know, Serge, on a different but closely related matter:

On 10 Jan 2016, after I'd been getting my submissions of SGML updates to
####@####.#### ignored for several years, I inquired on this mailing
list, and you advised that LDP is done entirely through GitHub, now, by
decision of -- well, you.  I said whatever works for you is great, but
that I wasn't going to agree to a customer contract with a proprietary
software company (which is what 'getting a GitHub account' means), just
in order to contribute volunteer works to LDP.  I said it'd be really
nice if I could just send the new version some other way.  You made no
reply.

On 25 Feb 2016, I advised this mailing list that a major update of the
Linux User Group HOWTO, v. 1.8.5, was available, and would continue to
be so, at http://linuxmafia.com/lug/User-Group-HOWTO.sgml  . You and
others made no reply.  (It's now up to 1.8.7.)

On 4 June 2018, Microsoft Corporation bought GitHub, Inc. for US $7.5
billion.

If TLDP would like to gratuitously alienate open source people, I think
you've found a good way to do it, but that's just my opinion.  But, my
work remains very welcome as a contribution to LDP, and, if you wish to
fetch version 1.8.7 and check it into Microsoft's site or anywhere else
you prefer, that would be super, and certainly IMO would be beneficial
for LDP.

If you'd rather not, then I guess my LDP documents are going to remain
forked until something changes on the LDP end.   I'll be still around,
waiting politely.  So will my work.  After all, it's open source --
unlike GitHub.

--
Cheers,              "I am a member of a civilization (IAAMOAC).  Step back
Rick Moen            from anger.  Study how awful our ancestors had it, yet