discuss: Fully automatic publishing! http://www.tldp.org/en/ (thanks to Serge)

Subject: Fully automatic publishing! http://www.tldp.org/en/ (thanks to Serge)
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 29 Mar 2016 20:46:15 +0100

Hello all,

TLDP now has fully automatic publishing from source repository!

Serge spent a good portion of his weekend spinning up the 'ldptool'
software under an automation/build system (semaphoreci.com).

Now, document publication is running in a fully-automated fashion. I
can confirm that when I commit something to the LDP document
repository (https://github.com/tLDP/LDP), the automated build kicks
off and copies (via rsync) any of the changed outputs into place on
the TLDP server at ibiblio.

The HOWTOs, guides, refs and faqs are now all available here:

  http://www.tldp.org/en/  # -- not configured with indexing (yet?)

For example, our most recent submission from Guido Gonzato was
accepted a week or two ago and was named 'Linux-Android-HOWTO'.  It
is visible here:

  http://www.tldp.org/en/Linux-Android-HOWTO/

So, until we make this new area live, here are a few randomly chosen
document examples.  If you know the stem of the document, you can
find it.

Linuxdoc
  http://www.tldp.org/en/Text-Terminal-HOWTO/
  http://www.tldp.org/en/User-Group-HOWTO/

DocBook XML 4.x
  http://www.tldp.org/en/Intro-Linux/
  http://www.tldp.org/en/Unix-and-Internet-Fundamentals-HOWTO/

DocBook SGML
  http://www.tldp.org/en/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/
  http://www.tldp.org/en/Adv-Routing-HOWTO/

DocBook XML 5.0
  http://www.tldp.org/en/Assembly-HOWTO/
  http://www.tldp.org/en/Package-Management-Basics-HOWTO/

Note:  These are not indexed yet (metadata question remains) and,
while they are visible to those who know the URL they are not live.
When we run the migration scripts, all of these documents will
become live and will be the preferred location(s) for the
TLDP-published content.

If anybody sees anything in the formatting of the outputs that is
tricky, please mention it here on the list (or email me directly, if
you prefer).

We should soon be able to rebuild and republish the entire document
hierarchy easily, if we find improvements to the stylesheet
transformations.

I have no doubt that we will find styling and consistency
improvements over time.

I'm proud to report the success of the automatic publishing.  I will
write some more under separate cover about what steps remain to
complete the migration to the new filesystem layout.

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown
http://linux-ip.net/